Aug 22, 2013, 12:08 PM PDT
The bad blood between the Giants and Dodgers hit a boiling point on this day in 1965, after Giants pitcher Juan Marichal hit Dodgers catcher John Roseboro with a bat.
The incident sparked a 14-minute brawl between the rival teams.
The attack became the most memorable moment in a heated competition for the National League pennant. It all happened in the third inning with Marichal at the plate facing Sandy Koufax. The Dodgers’ pitcher was instructed to plunk San Francisco’s starter as retaliation for a few brush back pitches that happened earlier in the game. Knowing that it wasn’t Koufax’s style to bean a batter intentionally, Roseboro decided to do the dirty work. When throwing the ball back to Koufax, he intentionally buzzed Marichal’s tower.
“He threw a ball so close it tipped my ear,” Marichal told Bob Costas during a sit-down interview for MLB.com.
In front of a crowd of 42,807 fans in San Francisco, Marichal used the bat to exact revenge. Leonard Koppett documented the fight that day for the New York Times.
Marichal’s bat hit Roseboro on the top of the head at least twice and opened a two-inch cut that bled profusely.
In a sign of how different times were in 1965, Marichal was suspended just nine days and fined $1,750. The Giants ended up winning the game 4-3.
Even after being the focal point of one of the ugliest moments in baseball history, Marichal and Roseboro went on to become good friends. Roseboro even helped campaign for Marichal to get into the Hall of Fame. The two rivals would later appear together at several charity events.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- 49ers adding Tavon Austin, J.J. Nelson mounts pressure on Dante Pettis
- Report: Giants to add player names to back of home jerseys next season
- 49ers' Arik Armstead identifies areas in which he can be better in 2020
- Haberstroh: Who will Bulls target after Jim Boylen’s firing?
- Giants vs. A's MLB live stream: How to watch Battle of the Bay online, on TV
- Raiders' Marcus Mariota 'dazzling' Jon Gruden so far in training camp
- Why Warriors shouldn't be concerned about Suns' undefeated bubble run
- A's Frankie Montas scratched vs. Giants, Jesús Luzardo will start
- Giants return to Oracle Park with more than 10,000 cutouts in stands
- Raiders’ Maxx Crosby returns from COVID-19 reserve list after one week
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|