Aug 27, 2013, 9:27 AM PDT
Somebody forgot to tell Hunter Pence the San Francisco Giants’ season is over. Pence is a free agent at the conclusion of the season and he’s showing that he needs to be kept in San Francisco. Pence was placed on revocable waivers, but it doesn’t mean he is going anywhere.
The Giants’ right fielder said he hoped everyone got a good laugh after his collision with the right field wall at Coors Field, but in reality, most fans were probably terrified to potentially lose one of the last watchable elements of a team that is playing for nothing but pride. Obstacles like walls, rain, a below .500 record, or sprinklers (we’ll get to those in a moment) can’t stop Pence from giving his all. For that, he deserves to be applauded.
The Giants plan to take a look at some of their younger players down the stretch, but manager Bruce Bochy is going to keep Pence in right field every day. Pence has started 140 games in-a-row, the longest streak in the National League. He deserves to stay in the lineup.
“It’s an honor to me,” Pence told our Giants insider Andrew Baggarly. “That’s what it is. I’m grateful to play. Every day, I enjoy competing at the major league level. I’m blessed to get the opportunity. As a kid growing up, I never dreamed I’d play one game in the major leagues. So to be out there every day, I’m grateful.”
Pence knocking the wind out of himself wasn’t the weirdest thing that happened at Coors Field as the Rockies defeated the Giants 6-1 on Monday. During the fourth inning, the sprinklers suddenly went off.
It isn’t the first time this has happened to the Giants. Maybe it’s one of Bochy’s super secret distraction tactics.
Time to dry off and check out some links.
Field of Links:
— Nate Freiman makes the most of his 6-foot-8 frame with his awkward slide
— Does it feel worse this time around?
— Jurassic Park 4 must have a pathetic budget.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Funny Madison Bumgarner pitching routine shows some things never change
- Buster Posey's leadership will be missed by Giants more than anything
- 49ers' George Kittle questions social distancing in 2020 NFL season
- Bill Callahan's 'dumbest team in America' rant sealed his Raiders fate
- Slow to return, Patrick Cantlay (65) gears up for Memorial title defense
- Watch: Collin Morikawa goes near-ace, near-albatross at Muirfield Village
- Watch: Rory Sabbatini hits his ball twice, makes birdie-3
- Kings players mourn death of Joe Wong, Golden 1 Center security guard
- NBA rumors: Adrian Wojnarowski suspended by ESPN, sparking #FreeWoj push
- De'Aaron Fox, Marvin Bagley reveal social justice messages on Kings jerseys
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|