Aug 29, 2013, 1:47 PM PDT
Professional golfer Amanda Blumenherst is listening to her heart. And right now, her heart isn’t in golf. According to a report from our sister network the Golf Channel, Blumenherst is stepping away from the game to spend more time with her husband, A’s first baseman Nate Freiman.
“I was just going through the motions in practice,” Blumenherst told the Golf Channel. “I want to be with Nate.”
When not on the baseball field, Freiman serves as Blumenherst’s caddy. But Freiman’s schedule is much more demanding now that he is in the major leagues.
Freiman cracked the A’s roster and broke camp with the team out of spring training. The 6-foot-8 rookie first baseman has succeeded in a platoon role with the A’s, after being released by the Houston Astros. Freiman, 26, has made 40 of his 42 starts against left-handed pitching and is hitting .320 against those southpaws.
The MLB season is longer than a minor league season. Couple that with the traveling that Blumenherst does as a professional golfer, and the couple doesn’t get to spend too much time together.
Blumenherst and Freiman met at Duke University where they were named the female athlete of the year and male athlete of the year as seniors. They don’t have any children yet, but when they do, those kids will likely be spectacular athletes. Blumenherst, also 26, told the Golf Channel she’d like to start a family soon.
“I don’t want to say I’m retiring, because you never know what will happen,” Blumenherst said. “Maybe I’ll decide in a couple years to come back, and this will just be a little break, you never know.”
She’s interested in playing in the Evian Championship in France next month and a few other events before she takes her leave from golf.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Giants takeaways: What you might've missed in 5-1 loss vs. Astros
- Why Stephen A. Smith is wrong about George Kittle and Travis Kelce
- Watch Warriors' Andrew Wiggins show off handle in offseason workout
- Nothing about Ramón Laureano's home-run-saving catch vs. Angels was easy
- A's show off power, close out series with vital 8-4 win over Angels
- Why Klay Thompson thinks it's 'hard time to play' during NBA restart
- Why Tom Haberstroh believes Warriors will trade Andrew Wiggins, top pick
- Watch Ramón Laureano casually rob home run from Angels' Brian Goodwin
- Kyle Juszczyk predicts big things for Jimmy Garoppolo, Jerick McKinnon
- Ramón Laureano casually robs homer to preserve A's lead vs. Angels
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|