Aug 29, 2013, 1:47 PM PDT
Professional golfer Amanda Blumenherst is listening to her heart. And right now, her heart isn’t in golf. According to a report from our sister network the Golf Channel, Blumenherst is stepping away from the game to spend more time with her husband, A’s first baseman Nate Freiman.
“I was just going through the motions in practice,” Blumenherst told the Golf Channel. “I want to be with Nate.”
When not on the baseball field, Freiman serves as Blumenherst’s caddy. But Freiman’s schedule is much more demanding now that he is in the major leagues.
Freiman cracked the A’s roster and broke camp with the team out of spring training. The 6-foot-8 rookie first baseman has succeeded in a platoon role with the A’s, after being released by the Houston Astros. Freiman, 26, has made 40 of his 42 starts against left-handed pitching and is hitting .320 against those southpaws.
The MLB season is longer than a minor league season. Couple that with the traveling that Blumenherst does as a professional golfer, and the couple doesn’t get to spend too much time together.
Blumenherst and Freiman met at Duke University where they were named the female athlete of the year and male athlete of the year as seniors. They don’t have any children yet, but when they do, those kids will likely be spectacular athletes. Blumenherst, also 26, told the Golf Channel she’d like to start a family soon.
“I don’t want to say I’m retiring, because you never know what will happen,” Blumenherst said. “Maybe I’ll decide in a couple years to come back, and this will just be a little break, you never know.”
She’s interested in playing in the Evian Championship in France next month and a few other events before she takes her leave from golf.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- TBT: Willie Mays announces his retirement
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- UPDATE: Brent Burns' golf course skull discovery identified
- Steph Curry left off Chris Paul's description of ultimate point guard
- Bruce Bochy explains new role with Giants, says Joey Bart is 'real deal'
- Brandon Crawford's family golf tournament continues the fight against ALS
- Kyle Shanahan's Super Bowl loss with 49ers lingers more than Falcons'
- Kings continue postseason push, move to within four games of Grizzlies
- Warriors brought in Klay Thompson's friend 'off the street' to scrimmage
- Watch ex-Shark Patrick Marleau get ready for Penguins debut vs. Kings
- Lakers' LeBron James won't play Thursday vs. Warriors at Chase Center
- Jeff Samardzija laughs at Yankees trade rumors after Luis Severino injury
- Warriors' Steve Kerr casts doubt on Steph Curry's March 1 return date
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|