Aug 29, 2013, 10:01 AM PDT
America’s pastime is about to be pushed aside and forced to hail to the new king. Football is here.
The Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers will be playing their final preseason games tonight. The San Jose State Spartans will be kicking off their season at 7 p.m. and they will soon be followed by the California Golden Bears, who play on Saturday. Meanwhile, the Stanford Cardinal have the ultra-ridiculous week one bye.
The pigskin push couldn’t come soon enough for fans of the San Francisco Giants. They could use a change of pace. The Oakland Athletics will be clinging to the remaining attention from Bay Area baseball fans as they make their pennant push on a pitted outfield and an infield with the faded marks of the gridiron.
Even professional baseball players are caught up in the excitement. The A’s have already held their annual fantasy football draft.
A’s right fielder Josh Reddick is on the DL, but rocked the uniform of his hometown Georgia Bulldogs while rehabbing.
Reddick wasn’t the only one to suit up in football gear on the baseball field. Rays ace David Price donned the uniform of his alma mater before Wednesday’s Rays game.
The A’s are still focused on the task at hand. They are stuck 2.5 games behind the Texas Rangers, but get a massive boost by the addition of Brett Anderson, who was reinstated from the 60-day DL and Bartolo Colon, who just came off the 15-day DL. Anderson pitched on Wednesday out of the bullpen, but if they can get him back up to speed and inserted into the rotation with Colon, they might have the best starting five in baseball. That could be all they need to catch the Rangers.
The Giants have pretty much bowed out. They were nearly no-hit for a second time this season on Wednesday. Our Giants Insider Andrew Baggarly did unearth an interesting note, though. The Giants are ready to reevaluate how they spend their money based on the success of Yasiel Puig and to a lesser extent Yoenis Cespedes.
Like football is pushing aside baseball, it’s time for the links to shove away this blog.
Field of Links:
— This tweet:
Led to this tirade by Brandon Phillips. Wow. And way to step in Dusty. Neither of the Bay Area’s current managers would let that fly.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- TBT: Willie Mays announces his retirement
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- UPDATE: Brent Burns' golf course skull discovery identified
- Kyle Shanahan's Super Bowl loss with 49ers lingers more than Falcons'
- Kings continue postseason push, move to within four games of Grizzlies
- Warriors brought in Klay Thompson's friend 'off the street' to scrimmage
- Watch ex-Shark Patrick Marleau get ready for Penguins debut vs. Kings
- Lakers' LeBron James won't play Thursday vs. Warriors at Chase Center
- Jeff Samardzija laughs at Yankees trade rumors after Luis Severino injury
- Warriors' Steve Kerr casts doubt on Steph Curry's March 1 return date
- NFL rumors: 49ers' DeForest Buckner rejected contract extension last offseason
- Raiders Talk Podcast: Offseason Outlook (Tom Brady?!)
- NFL rumors: Raiders could be free-agent option for QB Philip Rivers
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|