Sep 3, 2013, 3:32 PM PDT
The Glove is giving the Warriors some love. Oakland native and soon-to-be Basketball Hall of Famer Gary Payton went on the record with his love of the Dubs during his media rounds on Tuesday.
Payton believes the Warriors have what it takes to make it to the NBA Finals. The more experienced San Antonio Spurs beat the Warriors in the second round of the playoffs last season. After a breakout year for the franchise, Golden State added Andre Iguodala, and kept together the talented core of the team featuring Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, David Lee and Harrison Barnes.
Here’s how Payton is rationalizing his pick:
“I think they’re going to be there,” Payton told Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com. “I think they have a good chance of going. Picking up Andre (Igoudala), that was a good pickup for them. I think if (Andrew) Bogut plays well, they’re going to have a great chance. I just really do believe that. And I think Mark Jackson’s doing a great job down there.”
Payton was known for his trash talk, but he had nothing but positive things to say about the city of Oakland in the same interview.
“I’m really proud of my city. That’s why I mention it. People always think about our city as being the crime city. But they don’t understand. We’ve got a lot of good people coming out of there doing great things in athletics and doing a lot of things that’s positive. We want these kids to understand that they can do the same thing and come out and just keep our generation going that’s coming out of that area.”
Payton will be inducted into the Hall of Fame on Sunday. His speech will surely be one of the highlights of the ceremony. Warriors fans should take his comments seriously. He was a nine-time All-Star, a defensive player of the year, and an NBA Champion. He knows what he’s talking about.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- On the clock: How Raiders can become dynamic at wide receiver position
- WATCH: A's Mike Fiers throws second no-hitter of his career vs. Reds
- WATCH: Warriors turn tide in 2015 NBA Finals with Game 5 win
- 49ers, Sharks games not expected before November, health official says
- How Warriors' Steph Curry vanquished his 'stopper' in 2015 NBA Finals
- Second Raiders stadium site worker tests positive for coronavirus
- Warriors' Bob Myers uses sports analogy to give coronavirus optimism
- Mike Fiers, Jesús Luzardo build close bond while social distancing in pandemic
- Giants' Mike Krukow, Duane Kuiper tell hilarious Will Clark sushi story
- NFL rumors: Ex-Raider DeAndre Washington, Chiefs agree to contract terms
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|