Sep 9, 2013, 8:35 PM PDT
The Oakland Athletics further distanced themselves from the Texas Rangers on Monday and they didn’t even have to pick up a bat or throw a ball. The Pittsburgh Pirates did all the work for them by defeating the Rangers 1-0 in Texas.
The A’s now hold a two-game lead in the American League West.
With the road victory, the Pirates clinched their first winning season since 1992. Rookie right-handed pitcher Gerrit Cole tossed seven scoreless innings and stuck out a career-high nine hitters to defeat Yu Darvish, who hasn’t won a game in his last five starts.
Only one Rangers’ runner was able to reach second base against Cole as they were held scoreless for the ninth time this season.
The A’s open a three-game series in Minnesota against the Twins on Tuesday. Seven of the A’s final 19 games are against the Twins. The A’s are a season-high 23 games over .500, while the Twins have a 62-80 record and are in fourth place in the American League Central.
Pitching Probables: (All three games are on Comcast SportNet California)
— RHP Jarrod Parker (11-6, 3.57) vs. RHP Liam Hendriks (1-2, 5.28)
— RHP Sonny Gray (2-3, 2.51) vs. RHP Mike Pelfrey (5-11, 4.97)
— RHP A.J. Griffin (13-9, 3.91) vs. RHP Kevin Correia (9-11, 4.30)
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Kings' De'Aaron Fox cuts hair off during NBA's coronavirus stoppage
- Earthquakes' Thompson wants focus on coronavirus, not sports right now
- NFL Draft 2020: 49ers fans don't want to trade down from No. 13 pick
- Sharks' Mario Ferraro reveals lesson learned in whirlwind rookie year
- Why Warriors' Eric Paschall, Draymond Green have 'great' chemistry
- WATCH: Vince Carter goes off in Kings' 2017 win over Cavs
- Stanford doctor draws Steph Curry, Klay Thompson art on Etch A Sketch
- Why NFC's No. 1 seed is vital for 49ers in expanded NFL playoff format
- Earthquakes' Tommy Thompson challenging kids during coronavirus stoppage
- How Gabe Kapler is using video games to stay prepared for upcoming season
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|