Sep 11, 2013, 12:27 PM PDT
Throwing a banana onto the field at AT&T Park may have been one of the least dastardly things that Alexander Poulides has done recently. According to a report from Philly.com, the Willits native was arrested on the Jersey Shore last Saturday and thrown in the Cape May County (N.J.) Correctional Center.
Poulides, 37, claimed he had innocent intentions after tossing a banana in the direction of Orioles outfielder Adam Jones at AT&T Park in what appeared to be a racist act. Now, he has more than public opinion to worry about. Poulides apparently was a fugitive in the state of New Jersey on retail theft and drug charges. He grew up in the area and was apprehended there by police after a disorderly disturbance call.
The same report notes that he has also been arrested on two occasions in the past for drunk driving and suspicion of drunk driving.
It’s hard to believe Poulides’ explaination of the banana-tossing incident based on his track record. As you may remember, he claimed he was simply throwing a banana in frustration of the Giants’ poor performance and that the fruit wasn’t aimed at Jones.
“I’m embarrassed and shocked by the outcome,” Poulides told the Bay Area News Group after the incident. “In hindsight, I wish I didn’t do it and I apologize. I’m very sorry.”
Jones took to Twitter to voice his frustration after the incident.
The Giants issued an apology on behalf of the franchise to Jones after investigating the matter.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Kings' De'Aaron Fox cuts hair off during NBA's coronavirus stoppage
- Earthquakes' Thompson wants focus on coronavirus, not sports right now
- NFL Draft 2020: 49ers fans don't want to trade down from No. 13 pick
- Sharks' Mario Ferraro reveals lesson learned in whirlwind rookie year
- Why Warriors' Eric Paschall, Draymond Green have 'great' chemistry
- WATCH: Vince Carter goes off in Kings' 2017 win over Cavs
- Stanford doctor draws Steph Curry, Klay Thompson art on Etch A Sketch
- Why NFC's No. 1 seed is vital for 49ers in expanded NFL playoff format
- Earthquakes' Tommy Thompson challenging kids during coronavirus stoppage
- How Gabe Kapler is using video games to stay prepared for upcoming season
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|