Sep 11, 2013, 12:27 PM PDT
Throwing a banana onto the field at AT&T Park may have been one of the least dastardly things that Alexander Poulides has done recently. According to a report from Philly.com, the Willits native was arrested on the Jersey Shore last Saturday and thrown in the Cape May County (N.J.) Correctional Center.
Poulides, 37, claimed he had innocent intentions after tossing a banana in the direction of Orioles outfielder Adam Jones at AT&T Park in what appeared to be a racist act. Now, he has more than public opinion to worry about. Poulides apparently was a fugitive in the state of New Jersey on retail theft and drug charges. He grew up in the area and was apprehended there by police after a disorderly disturbance call.
The same report notes that he has also been arrested on two occasions in the past for drunk driving and suspicion of drunk driving.
It’s hard to believe Poulides’ explaination of the banana-tossing incident based on his track record. As you may remember, he claimed he was simply throwing a banana in frustration of the Giants’ poor performance and that the fruit wasn’t aimed at Jones.
“I’m embarrassed and shocked by the outcome,” Poulides told the Bay Area News Group after the incident. “In hindsight, I wish I didn’t do it and I apologize. I’m very sorry.”
Jones took to Twitter to voice his frustration after the incident.
The Giants issued an apology on behalf of the franchise to Jones after investigating the matter.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Say Hey! That's Willie Mays in a rap video
- A Minecraft gamer built a virtual Levi's Stadium out of blocks
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- MC Hammer and Oakland Fight Club create a new Raiders Anthem
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Steph Curry believes Sabrina Ionescu has basketball 'in great hands'
- Joe Thornton's two goals not enough in Sharks' loss to Rangers at MSG
- Shot of the Game: Joe Thornton snaps goal-less streak on the road
- Sharks' Joe Thornton scores two goals amid NHL trade deadline rumors
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in frustrating 3-2 loss to Rangers
- Warriors Gaming Squad prioritizes experience in NBA 2K League Draft
- Joey Bart, Mauricio Dubon hit homers in Giants' spring training opener
- Harry Giles, Kent Bazemore lead Kings to win over Clippers
- Shot of the Game: Harry Giles' alley-oop closes out Kings' win vs. Clippers
- Arsenal-Everton live stream: How to watch EPL game online, on TV
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|