Sep 11, 2013, 12:27 PM PDT
Throwing a banana onto the field at AT&T Park may have been one of the least dastardly things that Alexander Poulides has done recently. According to a report from Philly.com, the Willits native was arrested on the Jersey Shore last Saturday and thrown in the Cape May County (N.J.) Correctional Center.
Poulides, 37, claimed he had innocent intentions after tossing a banana in the direction of Orioles outfielder Adam Jones at AT&T Park in what appeared to be a racist act. Now, he has more than public opinion to worry about. Poulides apparently was a fugitive in the state of New Jersey on retail theft and drug charges. He grew up in the area and was apprehended there by police after a disorderly disturbance call.
The same report notes that he has also been arrested on two occasions in the past for drunk driving and suspicion of drunk driving.
It’s hard to believe Poulides’ explaination of the banana-tossing incident based on his track record. As you may remember, he claimed he was simply throwing a banana in frustration of the Giants’ poor performance and that the fruit wasn’t aimed at Jones.
“I’m embarrassed and shocked by the outcome,” Poulides told the Bay Area News Group after the incident. “In hindsight, I wish I didn’t do it and I apologize. I’m very sorry.”
Jones took to Twitter to voice his frustration after the incident.
The Giants issued an apology on behalf of the franchise to Jones after investigating the matter.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Raiders Talk: Sports Uncovered preview on Barret Robbins
- Why Marcus Semien’s leadership invaluable as A’s embark on 2020 campaign
- Sharks' Tomas Hertl explains funny, simple reason why he wears No. 48
- Why A.J. Green trade doesn't make sense for 49ers unlike other big names
- Shaq gives outrageous breakdown of potential Lakers-Warriors matchup
- NBA opt-out tracker: Every player who declined to return for playoffs
- Jake Diekman says MLB coronavirus testing delays 'just can't happen'
- NBA Draft 2020: Watch Warriors' potential target Deni Avdija dominate
- Giants' Heliot Ramos could make MLB debut in 2020, Gabe Kapler says
- Mike D'Antoni pokes fun at Rockets' defense with social distancing joke
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|