Sep 12, 2013, 9:54 AM PDT
Last year, baseball fans learned that anything can happen in a playoff chase, but according to Baseball Prospectus’ playoff probability charts, the Oakland Athletics currently have a 100 percent chance to make the postseason. That hardly seems foolproof, but it’s a good sign.
The A’s made a statement on Wednesday by clobbering the Twins 18-3 at Target Field in Minnesota. After they saw the second-place Texas Rangers get swept at the hands of the Pittsburgh Pirates, they took the field and powered their way to one of the best offensive efforts in the history of the franchise.
The A’s now lead the American League West by three games. Their 22 hits against the Twins on Wednesday equalled their highest output since 2009, and they tied an Oakland record with eight doubles and 11 extra-base hits in a single game. Their 10-run fourth inning tied the Oakland record for runs in a single inning. Simply put, the A’s are on a roll.
The NFL may be taking away some of the attention from the A’s pennant chase, but Oakland’s baseball team outscored their football team this week. The A’s also scored more than the Browns, Falcons, Buccaneers, Seahawks, Panthers, Steelers, Jaguars, and Titans in week one.
With 15 games remaining, the A’s magic number is now 15, and they are tied for the major league lead with 62 home runs since the All-Star Break. They head to Texas on Friday for a weekend series where they can put a serious dent in the Rangers’ division title hopes with a strong performance.
Meanwhile, the Rangers have lost nine of the last 11 games. They may not be Texas Toast yet, but they are certainly waffling.
After the A’s three-game series in Texas, they don’t play a team with a winning record for the rest of the season. If that isn’t exciting enough, here are some steaming hot links to fire you up.
Field of Links:
— What the quack? Katherine Webb hung with Duck Dynasty at a fashion show.
— Kimbo Slice vs. Butterbean? Sure, why not?
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Richard Sherman says 'majority didn't want to hear' Colin Kaepernick's message
- Pete Carroll lauds Colin Kaepernick protest, which Seahawks nixed visit for
- Juan Toscano-Anderson's Oakland protest draws Steph Curry, other Warriors
- Warriors' Steph Curry continues activism with police brutality protest
- Aaron Rodgers shades Drew Brees, says NFL protests 'NEVER' about flag
- Giants coach Justin Viele recalls Mike Yastrzemski calling MLB shot
- Kings have chance to make playoffs when NBA season returns
- 49ers' Richard Sherman speaks from experience in revealing police problem
- Raiders shut out of Pro Football Focus' top 50 NFL player rankings
- Raiders' iconic Al Davis Memorial Torch debuts at Allegiant Stadium
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|