Sep 17, 2013, 9:06 AM PDT
The Oakland Athletics returned home conquering heroes. They completed a 5-1 road trip that included a three-game sweep of their only true threat to repeat as American League West Champions, the Texas Rangers. The victors had their heads held high as they entered the Oakland Coliseum with a 6.5 game lead, ready to began a seven-game home stand that could include a wild champagne celebration in the clubhouse and the parking lot.
With 13 games remaining and the team across the Bay Bridge eliminated from postseason contention, you’d think the buzz at the ballpark would be electric. Guess again.
Only 14,629 were announced in attendance as the A’s sent their ace, Jarrod Parker, to the mound — a guy that hadn’t lost a game in his last 19 starts. Sure, the loyal fans were there. They always are. But the dull atmosphere was a stark reminder that the A’s still haven’t fully captured the attention of the Bay Area sports fanatics.
The A’s fell 12-1 at the hands of the Angels. It was a letdown across the board. Fortunately, the Texas Rangers can’t win a game to save their playoff lives. The A’s magic number to clinch the division is seven. To clinch at least a Wild Card spot, it’s six.
The A’s won’t play a game against a team with a winning record until the postseason. Will the 35,000-plus deafeningly loud fans that earned the respect of the A’s and their opponents alike at the end of the 2012 season wait until then to be heard?
Field of Links:
— Sonny disposition? Cal head coach Sonny Dykes threw out a first pitch to A’s pitcher Sonny Gray.
— After the most gruesome in-game injury in recent memory, Kevin Ware dunks once again.
— We saved the best for last. Check out how this Royals fan hypnotizes the crowd with his jiggles.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Recent NFL draft history suggests Raiders should be wary of first-round WRs
- 2020 NFL Draft profile: CeeDee Lamb could fill Emmanuel Sanders' 49ers role
- Will Clark shares funny story about homer in MLB debut off Nolan Ryan
- One thing Steve Kerr, Warriors always looking for when building roster
- 49ers' Fred Warner using Super Bowl loss as offseason training motivation
- How Mike Fiers rewarded Jurickson Profar, Ramon Laureano for no-hitter
- Will Clark recalls historic debut against Nolan Ryan
- 49ers' George Kittle recalls meeting The Rock before Super Bowl LIV
- How Gabe Kapler, Giants coaches are getting work done during MLB hiatus
- Kings players provide meals to locals in need during coronavirus pandemic
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|