Sep 18, 2013, 12:38 PM PDT
After making the catch of a lifetime, the Great Glove Granny is going national.
Santa Rosa resident Virginia Smith captured the attention of the Bay Area when she made a slick catch that was caught by Comcast SportsNet’s cameras at a Giants game on September 10. Since then, Smith, a 78-year-old great grandmother, has been featured on Giants Postgame Live, all over the internet, and on Wednesday, she appeared as a guest on NBC’s nationally televised talk show “Bethenny.”
Smith had the glove and ball with her when she appeared on the show. Bethenny, the show’s host, surprised Smith with World Series tickets during the segment. It’s too bad she won’t be able to watch her Giants in the Fall Classic.
The video for the segment isn’t online yet, but you can watch Smith’s interview with Greg Papa that took place shortly after she made the catch while we track down the clip.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Snoop Dogg: 'Raiders are like a retirement home for football players'
- Did you know there's a bowling alley inside AT&T Park?
- Heat maps provide an interesting look at A's/Giants and 49ers/Raiders territories
- Vernon Davis and the 5 best football hurdles of 2013
- How Madison Bumgarner pitched for D-backs in first spring training game
- NFL Draft 2020: Edge rusher Chase Young says Nick Bosa sets the standard
- NFL Draft 2020: Raiders could find late-round steal in Harrison Hand
- How Sean Manaea used Asia trip to move on from A's wild-card game loss
- Giants' Sean Hjelle, Trey McNutt among unique spring training names
- Henry Ruggs, Chase Claypool among combine stars Raiders should target
- Henry Ruggs, who ran 4.27 40-yard dash, met with 49ers during combine
- A's shut down outfielder Stephen Piscotty with intercostal strain
- George Kittle's agent 'very patient' in 49ers contract negotiations
- What Sharks still can accomplish as unfortunate season comes to close
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|