Sep 24, 2013, 9:05 AM PDT
Much like a cat paws at an injured mouse before taking a bite, the Denver Broncos might have been playing games on the sideline before finishing off the Oakland Raiders.
During the fourth quarter of the Broncos 37-21 victory, the running backs were reportedly playing rock-paper-scissors to determine which player would get the ball on the goal line.
USA Today writer Lindsay Jones had the play-by-play.
As the officials deliberated if Hillman had crossed the goal line after a 13-yard gain, Hillman, Moreno and Ball decided to play rock-paper-scissors for which running back would get the goal line carry if the score was overturned. Hillman said Moreno threw down a rock one beat too early and was disqualified, and Hillman’s scissors trumped Ball’s paper. So on the next play, it was Hillman’s touchdown.
Now, this could easily be a joke. It’s highly unlikely Broncos coach John Fox is letting the inmates run the asylum. Do you really think the three running backs in Denver sort out their own playing time? Then again, the Broncos pretty much had the game in hand.
Whether the Broncos were taking the Raiders seriously will remain up for interpretation, but it’s clear that Terrelle Pryor wasn’t messing around. He took a huge hit in the fourth quarter and left the game with a concussion for his troubles. Putting his physical well being on the line in a game that was all but over may not be smart, but it shows how much he cares.
Unfortunately, Pryor doesn’t remember much of Monday night. He will have to undergo several tests before he is cleared to play in the next game. Matt Flynn entered the game after Pryor.
Both of the Bay Area’s NFL teams are now 1-2 after three weeks. The 49ers don’t have much time to make a change, either. They play the Rams on Thursday night.
Time for some links.
Field of Links:
— Orioles third baseman Manny Machado’s freak knee injury.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Richard Sherman says 'majority didn't want to hear' Colin Kaepernick's message
- Pete Carroll lauds Colin Kaepernick protest, which Seahawks nixed visit for
- Juan Toscano-Anderson's Oakland protest draws Steph Curry, other Warriors
- Warriors' Steph Curry continues activism with police brutality protest
- Aaron Rodgers shades Drew Brees, says NFL protests 'NEVER' about flag
- Giants coach Justin Viele recalls Mike Yastrzemski calling MLB shot
- Kings have chance to make playoffs when NBA season returns
- 49ers' Richard Sherman speaks from experience in revealing police problem
- Raiders shut out of Pro Football Focus' top 50 NFL player rankings
- Raiders' iconic Al Davis Memorial Torch debuts at Allegiant Stadium
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|