Sep 24, 2013, 1:27 PM PDT
Sacramento Shaq-ramento Kings introduced a new member of the ownership group on Tuesday. Shaquille O’Neal sat at a table alongside owner Vivek Ranadive and fellow investor Mark Mastrov and discussed his vision for the Kings and how he can make an impact on the franchise. The new “O’wner” was in vintage Shaq form as he made the press group chuckle on several occasions.
One person that won’t be laughing, however, is Kings center DeMarcus Cousins. The young and often troubled player was called out several times by O’Neal during the press conference.
Here are Shaq’s top-5 most quotable expressions:
1. On his impact on Sacramento: “The town will be called Shaq-ramento…”
2. On the Kings being ranked the worst NBA franchise by ESPN: “They ranked us the worst. There’s no such word as worser, so we can only get better.”
3. Comparing himself to Cousins when he was younger: “Before I met Phil (Jackson), I was all over the place. I was doing great movies such as Kazaam. I was doing rap albums. I was just all over the place.”
4. On his past Sacramento Queens comments: “I was a marketing expert and I just wanted to rile the people up. It was a tough place to play. We were a little nervous. If I offended anyone, I apologize. You just need to understand the marketing expert that I am.”
5. On working with Cousins: “When it comes to leadership, one thing I’ve learned is never to micromanage… My focus is to get DeMarcus Cousins to the level that I know he can be at. When you hate to lose you can’t control the things that you say and the thing that you do.That’s called passion.”
The Kings ownership groups plans to make the team a global brand. They will do so by televising their opener live in India. During the press conference it was also revealed that their new indoor/outdoor arena will be a cash-free facility. They expect every ticket taker and concession stand to work off people’s cell phones.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Raiders' Taiwan Jones is quietly having a standout season
- Case of the Mondays: SB48 fallout, Red Hot Chili Raiders, Jumbo's juke, and a 75-foot game-winner
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- A's Mike Fiers looks to mentor A.J. Puk and Jesus Luzardo this season
- Steve Kerr says 'nothing is official' about Steph Curry's March 1 target
- NFL Draft 2020: Laviska Shenault compares self to 49ers' Deebo Samuel
- Kings coming together, earning puncher's chance at making NBA playoffs
- Could Joe Thornton leave Sharks for Maple Leafs in NHL free agency?
- Steph Curry left off Chris Paul's description of ultimate point guard
- Bruce Bochy explains new role with Giants, says Joey Bart is 'real deal'
- Brandon Crawford's family golf tournament continues the fight against ALS
- Kyle Shanahan's Super Bowl loss with 49ers lingers more than Falcons'
- Warriors brought in Klay Thompson's friend 'off the street' to scrimmage
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|