Sep 25, 2013, 9:05 AM PDT
Welp, it finally happened. Brian Wilson pitched at AT&T Park in Dodger blue. He was met with a smattering of boos. As jarring a scene as it was for true Giants fans, the boos don’t make much sense. It’s not like he wanted to leave. The Giants just didn’t want him that bad and they didn’t need him.
“It’s not the first time they booed with the Dodgers in town,” said Wilson, after a perfect eighth inning.
It’s actually good the Giants avoided signing a guy for marketing reasons. Their focus is building a team that can rebound next season.
With next season in mind, the Giants are shutting down Madison Bumgarner a start early and giving Barry Zito a farewell appearance. It’s a classy move. Zito’s tenure wasn’t exactly terrific, but he contributed in the postseason in 2012 and was around for two World Series titles. He’s also a charity superstar.
Marco Scutaro is also calling it a season. He battled through a disfigured “mallet” pinky that produced pain with each swing.
— A’s starting pitcher A.J. Griffin reached the 200-inning mark on Tuesday night. He is 14-10 with a 3.83 ERA this season. Even though he has allowed a league-leading 36 home runs, it’s hard to believe the A’s won’t put him in the postseason rotation. He has playoff experience that Dan Straily and Sonny Gray simply don’t have. Bartolo Colon and Jarrod Parker are locks to start Game One and Game Two.
“You don’t really get to choose when you pitch,” Griffin told CSNBayArea.com A’s beat writer Joe Stiglich. “Just being able to start a major league baseball game is a blessing. I just wanna start as many of them as I can for as long as I can.”
— The Sharks hit the ice at
H.P. Pavilion SAP Center the Shark Tank on Tuesday. While it was merely preseason hockey, our Sharks insider Kevin Kurz reports there was a lot to like about their 5-0 win over the Canucks. It’s just nice to see flashes of teal slashing across pristine ice.
— If you haven’t been watching the America’s Cup, now might be a good time to check it out. Oracle Team USA was on the verge of elimination and have now won seven races in a row to tie New Zealand for the lead.
It’s also a good time to check out some links.
Field of Links:
— Was he safe or out? Even the umpire doesn’t know.
— In Shaqramento, all your wives belong to Shaq. This was the wife of the governor.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Raiders' Taiwan Jones is quietly having a standout season
- Case of the Mondays: SB48 fallout, Red Hot Chili Raiders, Jumbo's juke, and a 75-foot game-winner
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- NFL Draft 2020: 49ers consider all options while preparing for long wait on draft day
- NFL rumors: Tom Brady, Patriots appear very far apart in free agency
- 49ers' Kyle Shanahan won't try to change George Kittle's physical play
- Bruce Bochy will have eyes on Giants minor leagues, praises Joey Bart
- How NBA attitude on cannabis has changed, stopped shy of full embrace
- NBA power rankings: Where all 30 teams sit as season winds down
- Lorenzo Gagli, Edoardo Molinari added to Oman field after negative coronavirus test
- A's Mike Fiers looks to mentor A.J. Puk and Jesus Luzardo this season
- Steve Kerr says 'nothing is official' about Steph Curry's March 1 target
- NFL Draft 2020: Laviska Shenault compares self to 49ers' Deebo Samuel
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|