Sep 25, 2013, 5:09 PM PDT
Whether you agree with it or not, Raider Rusher is here. The goofy mascot emerged straight from the frames of NFL RUSH ZONE, a kids cartoon co-produced by the NFL and Nickelodeon, to make its official debut at Raiders headquarters on Tuesday.
When an image of the mascot first leaked online, the Raiders fan base was up in arms.
“Well, I’m not surprised,” Raiders director of public affairs Mike Taylor said of the initial response. “People have a passion for the Raiders and that continues to be the case, but once you understand what this is all about, this is about kids, this is about the youth, this is about our community.”
The Oakland Raiders have a certain mystique to them. They are tough, gritty, dark and angry. They are a team steeped in tradition with three Vince Lombardi Trophies. They may have fans that dress like mascots, but they certainly don’t have one.
What would Al Davis have said about this?
It’s easy to pile on. Especially when a mascot is involved. Based on the rampant displeasure voiced by fans that laid eyes on this strange looking creature with an enlarged head and no torso, Field of Teams decided to go to the source and see what the hype was all about. In the end, it turns out it’s not so bad.
Every team in the NFL has one of these NFL RUSH ZONE characters. The Raiders are the first to take their character and bring it to life. It’s actually a pretty smart move. It represents the team in a family friendly way. The team will only feature the character in the three kids zones at the Oakland Coliseum and the interactive fan tailgates. The Raiders have made it very clear that it won’t be seen on the field or standing behind the end zone hogging television time.
Based on the reaction Raider Rusher got when he made his introduction on Tuesday, it’s hard to argue with the Raiders’ logic on this one. The Raiders invited approximately 100 kids from Emerson Elementary and the Oakland Boys and Girls Club to check out this new community relations tool, and they all went absolutely crazy when the thing hit the stage. Positioned directly under Al’s infamous projector, Raider Rusher whipped the kids into a frenzy before they watched a special preview of an episode of the cartoon featuring the character and running back Darren McFadden.
When they hit the Raiders’ practice field for some drills, they had a hard time keeping the kids away from the thing. If you look at it for what it is, a community relations tool, and not as a mascot, it’s actually a pretty effective weapon.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Raiders' Taiwan Jones is quietly having a standout season
- Case of the Mondays: SB48 fallout, Red Hot Chili Raiders, Jumbo's juke, and a 75-foot game-winner
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- A's Mike Fiers looks to mentor A.J. Puk and Jesus Luzardo this season
- Steve Kerr says 'nothing is official' about Steph Curry's March 1 target
- NFL Draft 2020: Laviska Shenault compares self to 49ers' Deebo Samuel
- Kings coming together, earning puncher's chance at making NBA playoffs
- Could Joe Thornton leave Sharks for Maple Leafs in NHL free agency?
- Steph Curry left off Chris Paul's description of ultimate point guard
- Bruce Bochy explains new role with Giants, says Joey Bart is 'real deal'
- Brandon Crawford's family golf tournament continues the fight against ALS
- Kyle Shanahan's Super Bowl loss with 49ers lingers more than Falcons'
- Warriors brought in Klay Thompson's friend 'off the street' to scrimmage
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|