Sep 26, 2013, 9:00 AM PDT
Advances in mobile technology have made rookie dress-up day one of baseball’s most interesting traditions. In the past, teams would force their rookies to dress in drag, or don embarrassing costumes during a road trip and the fans would only get vague descriptions. Now, we get high quality pictures and often revolting video.
On Wednesday, the A’s trotted their rookies around as video game characters — except for Nate Freiman, who somehow ended up as Marge Simpson. Then again, there have been plenty of video games featuring The Simpsons.
Here’s a team photo taken by Josh Reddick.
Here’s my best guess as to who each player/character is (from left to right). Dan Otero as Mileena from Mortal Kombat, Derek Norris as Ryu from Street Fighter, Dan Straily as Wolvereen, Pedro Figueroa as Raiden from Mortal Kombat, Michael Choice as Link from Zelda, clubby Greg Sommer (I think) as Ken, Stephen Vogt as a fat referee from Madden 25, Evan Scribner as frogger, Sonny Gray as Robin, Nate Freiman as Marge.
A’s pitcher Brett Anderson caught some fantastic video of Stephen Vogt helping the team cross the street to the team hotel.
Here are some more of the rookies hanging out in the Fairmont lobby in Seattle.
The Giants did their rookie hazing session last week. Their costumes were a bit more skimpy.
You have to respect how the Giants stuck to a theme and even executed it in downtown Manhattan. Last year, the A’s had a pretty skimpy theme as well, as they had so many rookies that they stuck with wrestling singlets.
Field of Links:
— Go Giagers? Ladies and gentlemen, meet the worst baseball fan in the world.
— By literally, you probably mean figuratively. As this was literally photoshopped.
— My eyes are burning.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chiefs' Frank Clark discusses bond with 'big brother' Draymond Green
- Why Patrick Marleau's goal song didn't play in Sharks' win over Ducks
- Richard Sherman has 'no animosity' to 49ers after Jim Harbaugh left
- How 49ers receivers learn from each other regardless of NFL experience
- Shot of the Game: Patrick Marleau ties Mike Modano on all-time goals list
- Richard Sherman explains what makes 49ers' defense so tough to beat
- 49ers' Richard Sherman wanted to put Jim Harbaugh 'out of the league'
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in impressive 4-2 win over Ducks
- Shot of the Game: De'Aaron Fox ties game after missing FT on purpose
- How Kyle Shanahan's relationship with Bill Belichick grew after Super Bowl LI
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|