Sep 27, 2013, 8:52 AM PDT
The 49ers-Rams game on Thursday night can be summed up in one GIF.
Rams quarterback Sam Bradford didn’t like what he saw from the 49ers defense — a squad that didn’t have Patrick Willis or Aldon Smith. They did, however, have NaVorro Bowman, who looked like he filled the shoes of three men as he was all over the field making plays in the 49ers’ 35-11 win. The 49ers got off to a slow start, but it looked like they started to get their swagger back as the game went on.
Colin Kaepernick stole all the headlines in the offseason, but this team’s offense needs to be about Frank Gore and the running game. They got away from that too much and everything came to a grinding halt.
— Mariano Rivera bid the New York crowd farewell last night. He is the best closer in the history of baseball and you may not have realized it at the time, but it was a privilege watching him saw off the bats and crush the hopes and dreams of your favorite team in the ninth inning. Rivera’s MLB record 652 saves will be etched in the annals of time, but many will remember him as one of the classiest players ever to step onto a baseball diamond.
Rivera was truly one of a kind. Watch the video below and do your best not to shed a tear.
— Tim Lincecum may have made his final start as a San Francisco Giant on Thursday night. “The Freak,” “The Franchise,” “The Freaky Franchise,” or whatever you choose to call him, could easily be considered one of the best Giants pitchers of all time. Lincecum won two Cy Young awards, threw a no-hitter, led the majors in strikeouts three times, and won two games in the 2010 World Series to help deliver the Giants’ first championship in San Francisco.
Lincecum won two World Series rings in San Francisco, which are more than Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Juan Marichal and Gaylord Perry have combined. Just sayin’. The team will likely attempt to re-sign Lincecum, but anything can happen on the open market.
Time for some championship-caliber links.
Field of Links:
— Brian Wilson has an issue with Larry Baer. Find out what it is here.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Why Warriors are in third place in ESPN's NBA Future Power Rankings
- George Kittle should not show up without new contract, says Donte Whitner
- NFL rumors: Tom Brady 'identified' Raiders as team he could win with
- Recent NFL draft history suggests Raiders should be wary of first-round WRs
- 2020 NFL Draft profile: CeeDee Lamb could fill Emmanuel Sanders' 49ers role
- Will Clark shares funny story about homer in MLB debut off Nolan Ryan
- One thing Steve Kerr, Warriors always looking for when building roster
- 49ers' Fred Warner using Super Bowl loss as offseason training motivation
- How Mike Fiers rewarded Jurickson Profar, Ramon Laureano for no-hitter
- Will Clark recalls historic debut against Nolan Ryan
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|