Oct 2, 2013, 2:32 PM PDT
UPDATE: MLB.com pulled the video offline. There has been no explanation as to why. If we find some details we’ll pass them along.
Roy Steele became known as “The Voice of God” because of the way his voice boomed from the Oakland Coliseum speakers and echoed through the thick cement structure.
He may know the A’s home better than anyone on the planet. He announced the A’s first game in 1968 and only missed five games in a stretch of 38 years before having to step down due to a throat ailment prior to the 2006 season.
Steele, 80, has only been able to return for a handful of games and the occasional ceremony. Now, fans can once again listen to the legendary announcer, as he lends his voice to a special postseason trailer for the A’s.
The 2:08 video featuring Steele’s vocal stylings is a tribute to the Oakland Coliseum. It presents the old stadium in a manner in which only an A’s fan can understand. The video shows historical footage of some of the A’s great championship teams cross cut with different slow panning views of the stadium.
If you’re an A’s fan, or have ever been to a baseball game in Oakland, it is worth a watch. Good luck not getting chills.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Raiders' Taiwan Jones is quietly having a standout season
- Case of the Mondays: SB48 fallout, Red Hot Chili Raiders, Jumbo's juke, and a 75-foot game-winner
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- A's Mike Fiers looks to mentor A.J. Puk and Jesus Luzardo this season
- Steve Kerr says 'nothing is official' about Steph Curry's March 1 target
- NFL Draft 2020: Laviska Shenault compares self to 49ers' Deebo Samuel
- Kings coming together, earning puncher's chance at making NBA playoffs
- Could Joe Thornton leave Sharks for Maple Leafs in NHL free agency?
- Steph Curry left off Chris Paul's description of ultimate point guard
- Bruce Bochy explains new role with Giants, says Joey Bart is 'real deal'
- Brandon Crawford's family golf tournament continues the fight against ALS
- Kyle Shanahan's Super Bowl loss with 49ers lingers more than Falcons'
- Warriors brought in Klay Thompson's friend 'off the street' to scrimmage
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|