Oct 9, 2013, 3:16 PM PDT
Getting information out of Harbaugh can be like getting blood from a stone. That’s why it’s surprising to hear the secretive leader of the 49ers say he wouldn’t mind allowing HBO’s “Hard Knocks” production crew to document his team’s every move during training camp.
With the recent news that the NFL can now force a team to do the popular reality show, football fans can now be assured that a new season will air every year. The NFL and HBO may find a receptive party in the 49ers.
“If that’s something we were in position to do, then we’d certainly do it,” said Harbaugh, during his press conference on Wednesday.
Instead of leaving it up to HBO and the NFL to decide which team opens up their training camp with cameras around every turn and inside every meeting room, Harbaugh would like to see the league set a criteria that determines the participant. He suggested that maybe they pick the team based on performance.
Harbaugh said he watches the show and finds it entertaining. He characterized having the 49ers on “Hard Knocks” as tempting, but said they have never had internal discussions about doing the show.
“There’s going to be teams that are going to be on “Hard Knocks” and that seems like a popular thing and something people want to see,” Harbaugh said. “So, I don’t see it going away. You could stamp your feet and say ‘I don’t want to do it,’ but I don’t know how productive that is for anybody concerned.”
With Harbaugh seemingly open to the idea, maybe the team’s generally terse football tosser, Colin Kaepernick, might be on board.
When asked about the show, Kaepernick said he doesn’t watch it and that he’s never discussed it with his teammates.
“No, we’re worried about playing football,” Kaepernick said.
Maybe the players aren’t concerned with who ends up on the show, but it would be a dream come true for 49ers fans. Seeing as how it is absolutely riveting to watch the inner workings of an unfamiliar franchise, imagine what it would be like if it happened with one of the Bay Area’s football teams.
Sure, the San Francisco Giants were featured on the now defunct Showtime series “The Franchise,” but that show couldn’t touch the level of quality provided by “Hard Knocks.”
Does “Hard Knocks” hurt a team?
2001 – Baltimore Ravens (10-6)
2002 – Dallas Cowboys (5-11)
2007 – Kansas City Chiefs (4-12)
2008 – Dallas Cowboys (9-7)
2009 – Cincinnati Bengals (10-6)
2010 – NY Jets (11-5)
2012 – Miami Dolphins (7-9)
2013 – Cincinnati Bengals (TBD)
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Raiders' Taiwan Jones is quietly having a standout season
- Case of the Mondays: SB48 fallout, Red Hot Chili Raiders, Jumbo's juke, and a 75-foot game-winner
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Glenn Robinson III explains most disappointing part of 76ers trade
- Giants excited to see Yolmer Sanchez's revamped swing, fun celebration
- Mark Canha Q&A: A's slugger discusses favorite breakfast, grooming
- NFL Draft 2020: 49ers consider all options while preparing at combine
- NFL rumors: Tom Brady, Patriots appear very far apart in free agency
- 49ers' Kyle Shanahan won't try to change George Kittle's physical play
- Bruce Bochy will have eyes on Giants minor leagues, praises Joey Bart
- How NBA attitude on cannabis has changed, stopped shy of full embrace
- NBA power rankings: Where all 30 teams sit as season winds down
- Lorenzo Gagli, Edoardo Molinari added to Oman field after negative coronavirus test
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|