Oct 14, 2013, 5:40 PM PDT
After a successful career as a professional basketball player and television analyst, could Jim Barnett be ready to take a bite out of the world of competitive eating? Barnett, 69, is entering his final season as Comcast SportsNet’s Warriors analyst, but don’t expect him to push San Jose’s star eaters Joey Chestnut or Matt Stonie to the limits on the Major League Eating circuit.
Barnett put down just four hot dogs in 10 minutes as part of a Golden State Warriors season countdown event on Monday. That number doesn’t sound too impressive, but it is double the amount of his goal going in.
Warriors’ hype man Franco Finn ate six hot dogs to win the event at Wienerschnitzel in Alameda. That’s a far cry from the 69 hot dogs and buns consumed by Chestnut in the same period of time at this year’s Nathan’s World Famous Hot Dog Eating Competition.
Barnett and Finn were joined by Matt Hoffman, a Warriors season ticket holder. Hoffman ate 5 1/2 hot dogs. He didn’t win the event, but he did win the chance to compete. The Warriors open the season on October 30, at Oracle Arena.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Raiders' Taiwan Jones is quietly having a standout season
- Case of the Mondays: SB48 fallout, Red Hot Chili Raiders, Jumbo's juke, and a 75-foot game-winner
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- A's Mike Fiers looks to mentor A.J. Puk and Jesus Luzardo this season
- Steve Kerr says 'nothing is official' about Steph Curry's March 1 target
- NFL Draft 2020: Laviska Shenault compares self to 49ers' Deebo Samuel
- Kings coming together, earning puncher's chance at making NBA playoffs
- Could Joe Thornton leave Sharks for Maple Leafs in NHL free agency?
- Steph Curry left off Chris Paul's description of ultimate point guard
- Bruce Bochy explains new role with Giants, says Joey Bart is 'real deal'
- Brandon Crawford's family golf tournament continues the fight against ALS
- Kyle Shanahan's Super Bowl loss with 49ers lingers more than Falcons'
- Warriors brought in Klay Thompson's friend 'off the street' to scrimmage
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|