Oct 16, 2013, 9:04 AM PDT
An ugly hit overshadowed what was supposed to be an exciting battle of two of the NHL’s remaining unbeaten teams. The San Jose Sharks defeated the St. Louis Blues 6-2 on Tuesday, but the team’s singular focus remains on the health of Dan Boyle, after he was taken off the ice on a stretcher following a dirty hit from Maxim Lapierre.
Our Sharks Insider Kevin Kurz reports that Boyle stayed overnight in a St. Louis hospital and that he is “doing OK.” The Sharks issued a release on Tuesday morning saying that Boyle will head back to San Jose later this afternoon for further evaluation.
After the incident, Kurz had some quotes from Boyle’s teammates that were terrifying.
“He was shaking, his eyes were up at the roof. We tried talking to him and he wasn’t responding. I’ve never seen anything like it,” Logan Couture said.
Joe Thornton said: “I’ve never seen a guy be like that before. It takes your breath away.”
Surprisingly, that hit didn’t even draw a penalty in the game. Lapierre will likely be looking at a lengthier suspension this time around.
— Hopefully, Boyle can get back to full health soon. Recovering from a tough injury is a mental grind as much as it is a physical one. Just ask 49ers wide receiver Mario Manningham, who returned to practice for the first time in 9 1/2 months after tearing two ligaments in his left knee. Our 49ers reporter Mindi Bach was on hand to catch Manningham’s post-practice session. He was actually excited to meet with the media until someone asked him about his recovery.
“I aint’ thinking about them crutches, man,” Manningham said animatedly making the media laugh as he cut off a reporter who started to ask him about his first days after surgery. “We’re passed that. I was sick of them, yeah, but that’s behind me. I ain’t talking about the crutches.”
— Do you think your job is hard? Cam Zink did a backflip off the side of a mountain on a bike and only finished in third place. Yup. The largest backflip in the history of his sport. Third place. He literally risked his life for a tiny trophy. If you’re sitting here reading this, you’re a winner. Zink is lucky he doesn’t need to borrow Manningham’s crutches.
— Hey look everybody, Justin Verlander is human. This Mike Napoli home run to snap Verlander’s 21 1/3 postseason scoreless innings streak probably doesn’t do much to ease the minds of Oakland Athletics fans, though. The Red Sox won the game 1-0 and took a 2-1 series lead.
Field of Links:
— They serve meatloaf cupcakes in Detroit. Lazy band name or stomach-turning food idea? Perhaps both.
— Joe Buck rubs people the wrong way.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Raiders' Taiwan Jones is quietly having a standout season
- Case of the Mondays: SB48 fallout, Red Hot Chili Raiders, Jumbo's juke, and a 75-foot game-winner
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Glenn Robinson III explains most disappointing part of 76ers trade
- Giants excited to see Yolmer Sanchez's revamped swing, fun celebration
- Mark Canha Q&A: A's slugger discusses favorite breakfast, grooming
- NFL Draft 2020: 49ers consider all options while preparing at combine
- NFL rumors: Tom Brady, Patriots appear very far apart in free agency
- 49ers' Kyle Shanahan won't try to change George Kittle's physical play
- Bruce Bochy will have eyes on Giants minor leagues, praises Joey Bart
- How NBA attitude on cannabis has changed, stopped shy of full embrace
- NBA power rankings: Where all 30 teams sit as season winds down
- Lorenzo Gagli, Edoardo Molinari added to Oman field after negative coronavirus test
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|