Oct 23, 2013, 3:02 PM PDT
Most professional basketball players spend big money on Bentleys or other flashy sports cars. That’s not Andrew Bogut’s style. The Golden State Warriors’ center would rather spend his hard-earned cash on an old hot rod and fix it up.
Bogut, the son of a mechanic, spends his time away from the basketball court collecting classic muscle cars. He has over 30 cars in his private collection and when he is done playing basketball, he hopes to open his collection up for charity events.
“It can get a little pricey, but I think it’s a clean, fun hobby,” Bogut said. “There’s a lot worse things you could be spending your money on.”
Bogut is a big fan of old Australian muscle cars and 60s Ford Mustang Shelby GT500s. The big man was in heaven during the offseason when he visited a massive private Mustang collection.
“I was like a kid in a candy store,” Bogut said. “I was about to whip out the checkbook and start writing checks, but I came to my senses.”
The owner of the private collection was a good friend of the late Carroll Shelby, so Bogut was able to see things that many people didn’t know existed.
Since Bogut is handy with a wrench, he is the go-to guy when a rookie player needs to be pranked. Last season, he removed the wheels from Festus Ezeli’s car.
The Australian-born prankster has no problem messing with a teammate’s ride, but he is a bit more protective over his own collection of cars. He explained that theft is a big concern with the types of cars that he keeps.
Collecting cars is a fun hobby, but Bogut’s attention is fully on basketball. The Warriors are looking to put the pedal to the metal when they open the 2013-2014 season on October, 30, against the Los Angeles Lakers.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Manny Ramirez Jr. signs with University of San Francisco
- TBT: Rating the signature songs of our Bay Area sports teams
- A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowman's rehabilitation
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Stephen and Seth Curry bring their sibling rivalry to the NBA
- Why Mauricio Dubon envisions 'different vibe' upon Giants' return
- MLB The Show 20: Giants' most overrated, underrated players in game
- Source: 49ers, Washington NFL draft prospects meet via video interviews
- Kerith Burke misses one thing about sports during coronavirus stoppage
- NFL rumors: Raiders meeting with Oregon QB Justin Herbert before draft
- Kings launch 'In this Together' campaign to support active community
- NFL Draft 2020: 49ers' John Lynch likely scouted Mekhi Becton from home
- Giants coordinator Matt Daniels explains offseason vs. coronavirus halt
- Golf Central Podcast: From Tiger-Phil 'rematch' to 'Tiger King' reviews
- Examining Raiders' worst first-round NFL draft picks of 21st century
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|