Nov 13, 2013, 9:54 AM PST
The Bay Area was in a bit of a funk. After Stanford’s huge win over Oregon last Thursday night, all of the main sports teams simultaneously hit a skid. The San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders, San Jose Sharks, Golden State Warriors, and the football teams of the California Golden Bears and San Jose State Spartans were all held winless over the past four days.
Then on Tuesday, the Warriors and Sharks put the Bay Area on their backs and stopped the skid.
The Warriors snapped their brief two-game losing streak with a 113-95 victory over the Detroit Pistons. Stephen Curry’s left foot injury is clearly a thing of the past, as he led the team with 25 points and provided us with yet another ridiculous highlight reel play. Our SportsNet Central editors must love the Warriors. They do stuff like this every time they hit the court.
— San Jose Sharks fans had to be in disbelief when Joe Thornton’s shot off the elbow of Brad Stuart went into the net for a game-winning goal in overtime against the Calgary Flames. The goal snapped a five-game losing streak for the Sharks and it was Stuart’s first goal in 65 games. As our Sharks Insider Kevin Kurz notes, the Sharks had played past regulation five times in the last six games and had two overtime goals waved off in that span.
Take a deep breath, Sharks fans. Overtime goals do exist. Here’s visual proof.
The Sharks players may have won on the ice, but their public relations team won on Twitter. Bravo. *starts a slow clap*
— Some golfers in Mexico were part of a moment that redefined the term water hazard. After an errant shot into the bunker, a crocodile grabbed a 58-year-old man by the thigh. His buddies had to club the croc with golf clubs and eventually run it over with a golf cart before the beast would let go. Chubbs Peterson would be proud. Winning!
Field of Links:
— Now that the Warriors are back on the winning track, you can check out where they and the Sacramento Kings stand in our NBA Power Rankings.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- More pics of Balfour's massive truck, and a look at another monster rig
- Kaepernick vs. Wilson -- loser shaves an eyebrow
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- Raiders cornerback Taiwan Jones wins $200 bet by jumping over a car
- NFL rumors: Rams trade Brandin Cooks to Texans for second-round pick
- Joe Lacob acknowledges Warriors could trade down in 2020 NBA Draft
- Former Giant Randy Winn describes feeling of month-long hot streak
- Giants fans vote 'Champ' Tim Lincecum as best version of former ace
- Security guard for Draymond Green, DeMarcus Cousins dies from coronavirus
- NFL Draft 2020: Raiders in solid salary-cap standing heading into event
- A's A.J. Puk shares positive health update after shoulder setback
- Why Steve Kerr trash-talked Alvin Gentry after Warriors won 2015 title
- NFL Draft 2020: Why 49ers could trade up to No. 5 for Jeffrey Okudah
- Chicago Bulls get new life with Arturas Karnisovas hire
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|