Nov 13, 2013, 9:54 AM PST
The Bay Area was in a bit of a funk. After Stanford’s huge win over Oregon last Thursday night, all of the main sports teams simultaneously hit a skid. The San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders, San Jose Sharks, Golden State Warriors, and the football teams of the California Golden Bears and San Jose State Spartans were all held winless over the past four days.
Then on Tuesday, the Warriors and Sharks put the Bay Area on their backs and stopped the skid.
The Warriors snapped their brief two-game losing streak with a 113-95 victory over the Detroit Pistons. Stephen Curry’s left foot injury is clearly a thing of the past, as he led the team with 25 points and provided us with yet another ridiculous highlight reel play. Our SportsNet Central editors must love the Warriors. They do stuff like this every time they hit the court.
— San Jose Sharks fans had to be in disbelief when Joe Thornton’s shot off the elbow of Brad Stuart went into the net for a game-winning goal in overtime against the Calgary Flames. The goal snapped a five-game losing streak for the Sharks and it was Stuart’s first goal in 65 games. As our Sharks Insider Kevin Kurz notes, the Sharks had played past regulation five times in the last six games and had two overtime goals waved off in that span.
Take a deep breath, Sharks fans. Overtime goals do exist. Here’s visual proof.
The Sharks players may have won on the ice, but their public relations team won on Twitter. Bravo. *starts a slow clap*
— Some golfers in Mexico were part of a moment that redefined the term water hazard. After an errant shot into the bunker, a crocodile grabbed a 58-year-old man by the thigh. His buddies had to club the croc with golf clubs and eventually run it over with a golf cart before the beast would let go. Chubbs Peterson would be proud. Winning!
Field of Links:
— Now that the Warriors are back on the winning track, you can check out where they and the Sacramento Kings stand in our NBA Power Rankings.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- How Patrick Mahomes' contract compares to 49ers' Jimmy Garoppolo deal
- Giants 2020 MLB schedule release: Dates, times for 60-game season
- MLB 2020 schedule release: Stacked A's squad shouldn't fear Dodgers
- MLB schedule 2020: When Giants, A's play in annual Bay Bridge Series
- MLB 2020 schedule release: Oakland A's dates, times for 60-game season
- MLB 2020 schedule release: Giants, Dodgers play Opening Day on July 23
- Two Giants test positive for coronavirus, bringing team total to four
- How 49ers can compete with Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs after huge contract
- How Steph Curry, Warriors' brand continues to make huge global impact
- Patrick Mahomes' contract puts pressure on Raiders for perfect rebuild
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|