Nov 13, 2013, 1:53 PM PST
Agents must be walking around the lobby at Major League Baseball’s general managers and owners meetings barking out sales pitches like ballpark peanut vendors. “SHIN-SOO CHOO, GET YOUR CHOO HEEERE.”
There’s an enormous amount of free agent hype coming out of Orlando, Florida. As teams try to fill their needs and agents attempt to set the market astoundingly high for their available players, one can only sit back and enjoy the show. Here are some of the highlights of the day.
Choo = Michael Jordan? Heck, he might be better. The greatest basketball player of all time barely hit above the Mendoza Line during his season with Double-A Birmingham in 1994.
Super agent Scott Boras is simply amazing. The Choo line wasn’t even his best of the day. Jacoby Ellsbury is expected to fetch well over $100 million largely because of Boras’ skills. By the way, Ellsbury has only been an all-star one time and had just one truly elite season. Ellsbury is good, but we’re talking about an astounding amount of money to acquire his services.
Then there’s Ervin Santana. $100 million for Ervin Santana?
Santana’s movie production values are off the charts, but his stats don’t necessarily warrant a blockbuster deal.
The Seattle Mariners have kicked so many tires that the Michelin Man went into hiding. The Mariners are expressing interest in every single free agent. According to the law of averages, they have to land one of them, right?
Not to be outdone, the Yankees have reportedly met with the representatives for Carlos Beltran, Choo, Ellsbury, Stephen Drew and Brian McCann. Here’s an artist’s rendering of what their offseason plans might look like after missing the postseason for the second time in 19 years.
Don’t expect the Yankees to go after Brian Wilson, though. Meanwhile, the Oakland Athletics signed Nick Punto to a one-year deal with a vesting option for 2015. It’s not exactly a big splash, but they add some dependable infield depth with the signing.
The A’s may be onto something based on this tweet…
Is scrubbiness the new undervalued commodity in baseball?
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Say Hey! That's Willie Mays in a rap video
- A Minecraft gamer built a virtual Levi's Stadium out of blocks
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- MC Hammer and Oakland Fight Club create a new Raiders Anthem
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Steph Curry believes Sabrina Ionescu has basketball 'in great hands'
- Joe Thornton's two goals not enough in Sharks' loss to Rangers at MSG
- Shot of the Game: Joe Thornton snaps goal-less streak on the road
- Sharks' Joe Thornton scores two goals amid NHL trade deadline rumors
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in frustrating 3-2 loss to Rangers
- Warriors Gaming Squad prioritizes experience in NBA 2K League Draft
- Joey Bart, Mauricio Dubon hit homers in Giants' spring training opener
- Harry Giles, Kent Bazemore lead Kings to win over Clippers
- Shot of the Game: Harry Giles' alley-oop closes out Kings' win vs. Clippers
- Arsenal-Everton live stream: How to watch EPL game online, on TV
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|