Nov 18, 2013, 10:09 AM PST
Welcome to A case of the Mondays. There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1 – Did the 49ers get robbed?: This was without a doubt the most painful moment to watch over the weekend. 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks’ hit on New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees late in the fourth quarter looked to be a potentially game-winning play. Instead, the referees flagged Brooks, gave the Saints a first down, and well, you know what happened.
But was it the right call? Our 49ers Insider Matt Maiocco put together a very interesting read on the rules as they pertain to that hit.
No. 2 – Shady repping the Raiders: Does this strike anyone else as a little bizarre? On Sunday, Philadelphia Eagles running back LeSean McCoy stepped off the team bus wearing an Oakland Raiders jacket.
Based on the crap Colin Kaepernick took for wearing a Miami Dolphins lid, you’d think this would be a bigger deal. The Kap cap flap took place in the offseason. McCoy rocked his Raiders garb on the TEAM BUS BEFORE A GAME.
McCoy’s Eagles beat the Washington Redskins 24-16, while his Raiders beat the Texans 28-23. Maybe a Matt McGloin-McCoy tandem is in the cards. Imagine all the nickname possibilities that would give the McRaiders.
No. 3 – How could you, Tiger?: All kinds of athletes were confused this weekend. Tigers Woods is known to be the most famous card-carrying member of the Raider Nation. So why was he on the sideline during the game of their AFC West rivals on Sunday? Woods and his girlfriend, Lindsey Vonn, were seen palling around with Denver Broncos owner John Elway before the Broncos-Chiefs game. Woods’ fellow Raiders fans felt betrayed.
No. 4 – Stanford Seeing Red: ESPN College Gameday analyst Lee Corso cut his face open during an impromptu sword fight after picking USC over Stanford. Believe it or not, that ridiculous act actually out-shined the performance of the Cardinal.
A week after a huge victory over the Oregon Ducks, Stanford’s season went down the tubes on Saturday when they were defeated 20-17 by the Trojans.
Stanford fell from fourth to ninth in the BCS Standings and took themselves out of the National Championship picture. Perhaps worst of all, they made Corso look smart.
No. 5 – Prestige Worldwide: Two Guinness World Records were set locally on Friday night. The Sacramento Kings broke the indoor arena noise record — not once, but twice — during their nationally televised game against the Detroit Pistons. The Kings fans hit 124.9 dB at halftime and then topped out at 126 dB in the third quarter. Get your earplugs ready.
Not to be outdone, the USF Dons broke the record for most people wearing a fake mustache. Yes, that’s apparently a thing. The Dons announced a paid attendance of 2,391 mustachioed patrons. The previous record was 2,000.
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
Oh, but don’t worry. He got them back.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Say Hey! That's Willie Mays in a rap video
- A Minecraft gamer built a virtual Levi's Stadium out of blocks
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- MC Hammer and Oakland Fight Club create a new Raiders Anthem
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Steph Curry believes Sabrina Ionescu has basketball 'in great hands'
- Joe Thornton's two goals not enough in Sharks' loss to Rangers at MSG
- Shot of the Game: Joe Thornton snaps goal-less streak on the road
- Sharks' Joe Thornton scores two goals amid NHL trade deadline rumors
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in frustrating 3-2 loss to Rangers
- Warriors Gaming Squad prioritizes experience in NBA 2K League Draft
- Joey Bart, Mauricio Dubon hit homers in Giants' spring training opener
- Harry Giles, Kent Bazemore lead Kings to win over Clippers
- Shot of the Game: Harry Giles' alley-oop closes out Kings' win vs. Clippers
- Arsenal-Everton live stream: How to watch EPL game online, on TV
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|