Nov 21, 2013, 4:09 PM PST
The University of San Francisco just landed a legendary name for their baseball program.
On Thursday, the Diamond Dons announced that Manny Ramirez Jr. — the son of 12-time MLB All-Star Manny Ramirez — is one of eight recently recruited prospects to sign with the school. He transferred from Central Arizona College. In this case, the apple didn’t fall too far from the tree, as the 6-foot-4, 215 pound first baseman packs a wallop.
Ramirez Jr., 18, hit .331 with 11 doubles, two triples, three home runs and 36 RBI at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. He hit .361 in his senior season. In this case, however, “Manny being Manny” takes on a whole new meaning. The young slugger is eager to forge his own identity.
“We are very excited to have signed Manny Ramirez Jr.,” Dons Head Coach Nino Giarratano in an email. “He is a very talented hitter, has a chance to hit in the middle of our line-up, and provide us with a great approach as a hitter and defensive first baseman. The best part of Manny is how he handles himself as a person- he is very humble, driven, and competitive.”
Ramirez Jr. drew as many walks (28) as he had strikeouts (28) while playing high school baseball. He’ll have a chance to make a name for himself in San Francisco. Manny Ramirez Sr. spent part of the 2013 season playing in Taiwan after being released by the Oakland Athletics and Texas Rangers.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- A Bay Area tattoo shop is offering 49ers tattoos for $49
- More pics of Balfour's massive truck, and a look at another monster rig
- Heat maps provide an interesting look at A's/Giants and 49ers/Raiders territories
- Warriors' David Lee gives 'Full Squad' shirts to entire 49ers roster
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- Giants' Logan Webb believes Seth Corry's prospect ranking is too low
- Why Sharks’ Tomas Hertl wasn't even 2020 NHL All-Star Game MVP finalist
- Sharks' Tomas Hertl's fifth marker serves as All-Star Game-winning goal
- Watch Sharks' Tomas Hertl score 2020 NHL All-Star Game-winning goal
- Sharks' Tomas Hertl scores fourth goal of NHL All-Star Game semifinal
- Tomas Hertl completes All-Star Game hat trick with sick move on Hellebuyck
- Sharks' Tomas Hertl goes high again for second NHL All-Star Game goal
- How Jimmy Garoppolo's impact on 49ers' offense goes beyond numbers
- Sharks' Tomas Hertl scores four goals in NHL All-Star Game semifinal
- Sharks' Tomas Hertl scores on breakaway in NHL All-Star Game
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|