Nov 22, 2013, 3:00 PM PST
A lot of professional athletes post pictures of cars, their kids, or inspirational quotes on Instagram. The Oakland Raiders post pictures of predacious animals.
A new social media trend is developing inside the Raiders locker room on game days. It started with defensive end Lamarr Houston, who fills his Instagram photo feed with images of wolves in the hours leading up to each game. It helps him get into a certain mindset before hitting the field.
“You have to have that wolf in the winter cold mentality,” Houston said.
He likens the way wolves hunt and survive in packs to the way he competes on the field with his teammates.
In his fourth season in the league, Houston has emerged as one of the Raiders defensive leaders. He has five sacks and 42 tackles this year. Following Houston’s lead, special teams gunner Taiwan Jones started doing the same thing, but with his own twist. He didn’t want to be a copy cat, so he went with lion pictures instead.
“I’m a Leo, so my symbol is a lion,” Jones said. “They’re just beasts and that’s what I try to be every Sunday.”
Jones is eating up would-be return men on the field and garnering pro bowl buzz in the process. Wide receiver Rod Streater has also posted a pregame lion picture recently. The trend is slowly catching on. It’s cool that on and off the field, Houston’s teammates won’t let him be a one-man wolf pack.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Gabe Kapler stands by his pitchers after Giants blow five-run lead to A's
- Giants' historic meltdown filled with inexplicable late-game decisions
- Giants blow historic five-run ninth-inning lead, lose to A's in extras
- Dave Kaval trolls Giants fans after A's comeback 8-7 extra-inning win
- George Kittle scared Seahawks into Jamal Adams trade, Ian Williams says
- Would A's consider trading for Johnny Cueto to strengthen pitching staff?
- The Rock congratulates 49ers' George Kittle on his contract extension
- Kuiper brothers have differing calls on Stephe Piscotty's grand slam
- Giants takeaways: What you might've missed in 8-7 loss to surging A's
- George Kittle channels Ric Flair to celebrate 49ers contract extension
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|