Nov 22, 2013, 3:00 PM PST
A lot of professional athletes post pictures of cars, their kids, or inspirational quotes on Instagram. The Oakland Raiders post pictures of predacious animals.
A new social media trend is developing inside the Raiders locker room on game days. It started with defensive end Lamarr Houston, who fills his Instagram photo feed with images of wolves in the hours leading up to each game. It helps him get into a certain mindset before hitting the field.
“You have to have that wolf in the winter cold mentality,” Houston said.
He likens the way wolves hunt and survive in packs to the way he competes on the field with his teammates.
In his fourth season in the league, Houston has emerged as one of the Raiders defensive leaders. He has five sacks and 42 tackles this year. Following Houston’s lead, special teams gunner Taiwan Jones started doing the same thing, but with his own twist. He didn’t want to be a copy cat, so he went with lion pictures instead.
“I’m a Leo, so my symbol is a lion,” Jones said. “They’re just beasts and that’s what I try to be every Sunday.”
Jones is eating up would-be return men on the field and garnering pro bowl buzz in the process. Wide receiver Rod Streater has also posted a pregame lion picture recently. The trend is slowly catching on. It’s cool that on and off the field, Houston’s teammates won’t let him be a one-man wolf pack.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Raiders' Taiwan Jones is quietly having a standout season
- Case of the Mondays: SB48 fallout, Red Hot Chili Raiders, Jumbo's juke, and a 75-foot game-winner
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Mark Canha Q&A: A's slugger discusses favorite breakfast, grooming
- NFL Draft 2020: 49ers consider all options while preparing at combine
- NFL rumors: Tom Brady, Patriots appear very far apart in free agency
- 49ers' Kyle Shanahan won't try to change George Kittle's physical play
- Bruce Bochy will have eyes on Giants minor leagues, praises Joey Bart
- How NBA attitude on cannabis has changed, stopped shy of full embrace
- NBA power rankings: Where all 30 teams sit as season winds down
- Lorenzo Gagli, Edoardo Molinari added to Oman field after negative coronavirus test
- A's Mike Fiers looks to mentor A.J. Puk and Jesus Luzardo this season
- Steve Kerr says 'nothing is official' about Steph Curry's March 1 target
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|