Dec 3, 2013, 2:26 PM PST
Baseball players have some intimidating nicknames. There’s Mariano “The Sandman” Rivera, Albert “The Machine” Pujols, Grant Balfour “Rage,” “Big Papi” David Ortiz, “King” Felix Hernandez, and Craig “Kitten Face” Gentry. Wait… Kitten Face?
Gentry, who was acquired by the Oakland Athletics from the Texas Rangers on Tuesday, easily has one of the strangest nicknames ever. The first use of the nickname can be credited to a Rangers fan named Michael Gruber.
The cute monicker caught on and made Gentry a cult celebrity in Texas. He has even been seen in the Rangers’ clubhouse wearing a shirt featuring his image with added whiskers. There’s also a “Kitten Face” Twitter account and many cat-themed Gentry photos on this Pinterest page.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram documented the strange phenomenon last season:
Gentry doesn’t know how that nickname originated but believes his play on the field has gotten him more recognition from fans.
“I really don’t know how I am viewed because I’m not on Twitter or Facebook, but fans appreciate players who work hard and play the game the right way,” Gentry told the Star-Telegram. “That’s how I approach it every day. I’m going to run every ball out and I’m going to hustle and give everything I have.”
His on-the-field play does speak for itself. Gentry, 30, batted .280 for the Rangers in 2013. He achieved career highs in runs (39), triples (4), home runs (2), walks (29) and stolen bases (24) last season. Kitten-loving Rangers fans miss him already.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Snoop Dogg: 'Raiders are like a retirement home for football players'
- Did you know there's a bowling alley inside AT&T Park?
- Heat maps provide an interesting look at A's/Giants and 49ers/Raiders territories
- Vernon Davis and the 5 best football hurdles of 2013
- How Madison Bumgarner pitched for D-backs in first spring training game
- NFL Draft 2020: Edge rusher Chase Young says Nick Bosa sets the standard
- NFL Draft 2020: Raiders could find late-round steal in Harrison Hand
- How Sean Manaea used Asia trip to move on from A's wild-card game loss
- Giants' Sean Hjelle, Trey McNutt among unique spring training names
- Henry Ruggs, Chase Claypool among combine stars Raiders should target
- Henry Ruggs, who ran 4.27 40-yard dash, met with 49ers during combine
- A's shut down outfielder Stephen Piscotty with intercostal strain
- George Kittle's agent 'very patient' in 49ers contract negotiations
- What Sharks still can accomplish as unfortunate season comes to close
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|