Dec 4, 2013, 3:04 PM PST
Upon hearing the term “Pro Bowl,” Oakland Raiders special teams standout Taiwan Jones politely asked if the interview could be conducted outside.
He quickly explained that his teammates would tease and taunt him if they heard the topic of conversation.
Jones, one of three Raiders players born in San Francisco, is quiet and shy when pressed about his accolades, but exuberant and energetic with his teammates on and off the field. He says he takes great pride in the fact that his name is being brought up lately in Pro Bowl conversations, but it’s hard to tell from his demeanor.
“Recently there’s been a little bit of buzz about it,” Jones admitted. “As far as myself, that’s always been a goal that I set at the start of the year. Just now, I’m starting to see a lot of fans hit me up and say something about it and a few reporters.”
Jones, 25, is a gifted athlete that possesses an impressive blend of speed and agility. There are several videos online that show him jumping out of pools, over cars, and on top of dumpsters. Most of those videos were filmed in high school and college, but he shocked his teammates by hurdling a car after a dinner this season.
It’s no surprise he makes a great gunner on special teams. By the time Marquette King’s punts are getting set to land, Jones is there waiting to make a play. He was drafted as a running back, converted to a cornerback, and recently was seen practicing at running back again. While he and the Raiders coaching staff try to find a permanent position for him, he’s thrilled to be able to help out on special teams.
“I don’t want to be just a roster filler,” Jones said. “I want to be able to make a difference each Sunday. I want to be able to contribute to the win.”
The fans and the media aren’t the only ones taking notice of what he’s doing.
“I’m noticing if you don’t have two people on him, or even if you do, it’s hard to stop him,” Raiders defensive end Lamarr Houston said. “I’ve been telling him he’s doing a great job and he needs to keep it up.”
Contributing to the Raiders is particularly meaningful for Jones. He drives past the same streets he grew up on as he heads to the Oakland Coliseum on game day. He attended Deer Valley High School in Antioch and spent time living in Oakland.
“It means a lot to know that I was brought up by this community,” Jones said. “Now I’m able to give back by playing on Sundays and giving them all that I’ve got.”
Online voting for the 2014 Pro Bowl is underway and concludes on December 26. Jones is one of the few Raiders that may have a chance at making it.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Snoop Dogg: 'Raiders are like a retirement home for football players'
- Did you know there's a bowling alley inside AT&T Park?
- Heat maps provide an interesting look at A's/Giants and 49ers/Raiders territories
- Vernon Davis and the 5 best football hurdles of 2013
- How Madison Bumgarner pitched for D-backs in first spring training game
- NFL Draft 2020: Edge rusher Chase Young says Nick Bosa sets the standard
- NFL Draft 2020: Raiders could find late-round steal in Harrison Hand
- How Sean Manaea used Asia trip to move on from A's wild-card game loss
- Giants' Sean Hjelle, Trey McNutt among unique spring training names
- Henry Ruggs, Chase Claypool among combine stars Raiders should target
- Henry Ruggs, who ran 4.27 40-yard dash, met with 49ers during combine
- A's shut down outfielder Stephen Piscotty with intercostal strain
- George Kittle's agent 'very patient' in 49ers contract negotiations
- What Sharks still can accomplish as unfortunate season comes to close
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|