Dec 11, 2013, 2:36 PM PST
Fans in the Pacific Northwest are furious at 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, and it has nothing to do with the fact his team beat the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday.
Instead, they are enraged by a new Beats by Dre ad that features the young quarterback. The ad shows a bunch of looney fans in Seahawks colors that are screaming and taunting Kaepernick. The unruly fans in the ad attack the bus he’s on with various objects, before he puts on the headphones to effectively silence his haters.
Fans in Seattle are threatening to boycott Beats by Dre, but are they even Seahawks fans?
There are no team logos in the ad, but the color scheme, the vocal fans, and grey skies sure make it look like Seattle. Seahawks fans are known to be the loudest in the league, and are proud of the home field advantage they create, yet they are offended by how they are portrayed in the commercial.
“I really wasn’t worried about that, I was worried about doing my part,” said Kaepernick, when asked if he thought the crowd in the commercial looked like Seahawks fans.
He chose not to clarify if the commercial was supposed to look like it took place in Seattle. In reality, he has nothing to do with the wardrobe of the extras on set.
“It was supposed to be a hostile environment,” he said.
Kaepernick is getting used to criticism in his sophomore season. He ranks 19th in the league with 2,487 passing yards and his 57.2 completion percentage is third worst in the NFL. He can take solace in the fact the 49ers are likely playoff bound and that Seahawks fans are going to hate him no matter what he does, so long as he’s wearing a 49ers jersey.
It’s also not an ad meant to pick on one city in particular. There’s another version of the commercial featuring Kevin Garnett.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Stephen Curry, Steve Kerr among sports figures outraged by Floyd case
- This stat shows how 49ers were most balanced team in NFL last season
- Kendrick Perkins claims he doesn't hate Steph Curry despite recent takes
- Raiders begin UNLV turf installation to play on at Allegiant Stadium
- Why Max Kellerman believes Kevin Durant still needs to prove greatness
- Giants Insider Podcast: Javier Lopez on pitching to Barry Bonds
- Ex-Giant Javier Lopez recalls vivid details about facing Barry Bonds
- 20 Kings Questions: Can Richaun Holmes and Marvin Bagley play together?
- Field to Table: Garlic fries recipe for making Oracle Park treat from home
- Steph Curry 'would've thrived' under Mike D'Antoni, Bob McKillop says
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|