Jan 2, 2014, 10:15 AM PST
The Green Bay Packers still have over 5,000 tickets available for Sunday’s postseason game against the San Francisco 49ers. The Packers have sold out the last 319 games, but they are being forced to file for a 24-hour extension in hopes of preventing a local television blackout in Wisconsin. Could Packers fans be discouraged because the 49ers are 3-0 against them under Jim Harbaugh? Is it because the weather is expected to be brutal? Perhaps not.
It’s a league-wide trend.
The Cincinnati Bengals and Indianapolis Colts also have plenty of seats available for their Wild Card round matchups. Only the Philadelphia Eagles have sold out their first-round playoff game. The Bengals and Colts have also been granted an extension.
— The Stanford Cardinal had a chance to win the 100th Rose Bowl. Down four points with 1:46 to play, the Cardinal had to convert on a critical fourth-and-one play. Instead of giving the ball to workhorse running back Tyler Gaffney, coach David Shaw elected to attempt to trick Michigan State by giving the ball to fullback Ryan Hewitt, who was stuffed. The Spartans may have stopped Stanford to win the Grandaddy of Them All, but couldn’t couldn’t complete the gatorade bath.
— New Year’s Day was bittersweet for San Jose Shark fans. The good: Joe Pavelski was named to the USA Olympic team. The bad: Tomas Hertl could miss six to nine weeks after undergoing surgery. Sharks Insider Kevin Kurz got insight from a former NHL trainer with knowledge of Hertl’s type of injury.
“Usually, a PCL repair or reconstruction is about the same rehab time as an ACL reconstruction. If they truly reconstructed and fixed it, it’s a six to nine month process.”
— The Golden State Warriors ended 2013 with a six-game win streak. They are taking on the two-time defending champs for their first game of the new year. Watch the below video to find out if stopping LeBron James was one of their New Year’s resolutions.
We resolve to continue to bring you the most entertaining links. Enjoy.
Field of Links:
— This is a couple of days old, but an entertaining click: Michael Crabtree mic’d up during the game against the Cardinals.
— SHARK-ALACHE: Some people have a lot of time on their hands during the holidays.
— When videoboming goes horribly wrong: Watch this Red Wings fan fail.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Snoop Dogg: 'Raiders are like a retirement home for football players'
- Did you know there's a bowling alley inside AT&T Park?
- Heat maps provide an interesting look at A's/Giants and 49ers/Raiders territories
- Vernon Davis and the 5 best football hurdles of 2013
- A's have plenty of outfield options should Stephen Piscotty miss time
- Kings fall to Thunder, suffer critical loss in hunt for playoff spot
- Giants GM Scott Harris explains signing Hunter Pence over Kevin Pillar
- How Madison Bumgarner pitched for D-backs in first spring training game
- NFL Draft 2020: Chase Young motivated by former teammate Nick Bosa
- NFL Draft 2020: Raiders could find late-round steal in Harrison Hand
- How Sean Manaea used Asia trip to move on from A's wild-card game loss
- Giants' Sean Hjelle, Trey McNutt among unique spring training names
- Henry Ruggs, Chase Claypool among combine stars Raiders should target
- Henry Ruggs, who ran 4.27 40-yard dash, met with 49ers during combine
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|