Jan 3, 2014, 2:57 PM PST
It could be the coldest game in NFL history, but San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee and Green Bay Mayor James Schmitt are spreading warm and fuzzy feelings by making a friendly wager.
If the 49ers win the playoff game on Sunday against the Packers at Lambeau Field, Mayor Lee will receive Beerntsen’s Chocolates and kringle from O&H Bakery. For those unfamiliar, kringle is a Scandinavian pastry and the official dessert of the state of Wisconsin.
Mayor Lee is wagering Ghirardelli chocolate and a dozen of Bob’s Donuts. The loser will also wear the opposing team’s hat while reading to local school children. Fortunately, no cheesehead hats are involved.
Mayor Lee announced the wager on the his web page. The release contained some smack talk between both politicians. The Mayor of San Francisco seems awfully confident.
“History repeats itself. Last year, the Niners beat the Packers to open the regular season, and then the Niners beat the Packers to advance in the Playoffs,” said Mayor Lee. “This year, the Niners beat the Packers to open the regular season, and I have every reason to believe that, once again, Red & Gold will prevail over Green & Gold, and the Niners will beat Green Bay again to continue their Quest for Six!”
Mayor Schmitt’s smack talk didn’t make quite as much sense, geographically speaking.
“The Packers are on a roll right now and will continue that roll over the Golden Gate Bridge and over the 49ers,” said Mayor Schmitt. “We look forward to a Packers win.”
If the Packers rolled over the Golden Gate Bridge on Friday, they’d see that San Francisco City Hall is lit up with red and gold lights to honor the 49ers. Both Mayors are encouraging the fans of their respective cities to treat each other with class and dignity.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Snoop Dogg: 'Raiders are like a retirement home for football players'
- Did you know there's a bowling alley inside AT&T Park?
- Heat maps provide an interesting look at A's/Giants and 49ers/Raiders territories
- Vernon Davis and the 5 best football hurdles of 2013
- How Madison Bumgarner pitched for D-backs in first spring training game
- NFL Draft 2020: Chase Young motivated by former teammate Nick Bosa
- NFL Draft 2020: Raiders could find late-round steal in Harrison Hand
- How Sean Manaea used Asia trip to move on from A's wild-card game loss
- Giants' Sean Hjelle, Trey McNutt among unique spring training names
- Henry Ruggs, Chase Claypool among combine stars Raiders should target
- Henry Ruggs, who ran 4.27 40-yard dash, met with 49ers during combine
- A's shut down outfielder Stephen Piscotty with intercostal strain
- George Kittle's agent 'very patient' in 49ers contract negotiations
- What Sharks still can accomplish as unfortunate season comes to close
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|