Jan 16, 2014, 1:52 PM PST
The Harbaugh horse is set to make his Bay Area debut. With two wins in four career races, Harbaugh is one of eight horses entered in the $100,000 California Derby that takes place on Saturday at Golden Gate Fields.
Last month, Field of Teams told the story of the horse bearing the 49ers coach’s name, after he galloped to a huge win at Hollywood Park Racetrack.
The three-year-old horse was born the same year that Jim Harbaugh took over as head coach in San Francisco, and was given his name after the 49ers made it to the Super Bowl. The previous owners of Harbaugh, Kretz Racing, are big 49ers fans.
Coach Harbaugh may have won eight games in a row, but the colt with his name is considered a long shot to win the 1 1/16 mile race. According to Golden Gate Fields odds maker Steve Martinelli, Harbaugh is the co-fifth choice in the field of eight.
If you want to cheer on a Harbaugh on Saturday, before cheering on the 49ers on Sunday, the race takes place at 3:45 p.m., and it is the seventh race on a nine-race program.
Exit Stage Left (5-2)
Morally Bankrupt (15-1)
Argyle Cut (8-1)
Puppy Manners (10-1)
Royal Banker (3-1)
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Say Hey! That's Willie Mays in a rap video
- A Minecraft gamer built a virtual Levi's Stadium out of blocks
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- MC Hammer and Oakland Fight Club create a new Raiders Anthem
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Steph Curry believes Sabrina Ionescu has basketball 'in great hands'
- Joe Thornton's two goals not enough in Sharks' loss to Rangers at MSG
- Shot of the Game: Joe Thornton snaps goal-less streak on the road
- Sharks' Joe Thornton scores two goals amid NHL trade deadline rumors
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in frustrating 3-2 loss to Rangers
- Warriors Gaming Squad prioritizes experience in NBA 2K League Draft
- Joey Bart, Mauricio Dubon hit homers in Giants' spring training opener
- Harry Giles, Kent Bazemore lead Kings to win over Clippers
- Shot of the Game: Harry Giles' alley-oop closes out Kings' win vs. Clippers
- Arsenal-Everton live stream: How to watch EPL game online, on TV
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|