Jan 16, 2014, 1:52 PM PST
The Harbaugh horse is set to make his Bay Area debut. With two wins in four career races, Harbaugh is one of eight horses entered in the $100,000 California Derby that takes place on Saturday at Golden Gate Fields.
Last month, Field of Teams told the story of the horse bearing the 49ers coach’s name, after he galloped to a huge win at Hollywood Park Racetrack.
The three-year-old horse was born the same year that Jim Harbaugh took over as head coach in San Francisco, and was given his name after the 49ers made it to the Super Bowl. The previous owners of Harbaugh, Kretz Racing, are big 49ers fans.
Coach Harbaugh may have won eight games in a row, but the colt with his name is considered a long shot to win the 1 1/16 mile race. According to Golden Gate Fields odds maker Steve Martinelli, Harbaugh is the co-fifth choice in the field of eight.
If you want to cheer on a Harbaugh on Saturday, before cheering on the 49ers on Sunday, the race takes place at 3:45 p.m., and it is the seventh race on a nine-race program.
Exit Stage Left (5-2)
Morally Bankrupt (15-1)
Argyle Cut (8-1)
Puppy Manners (10-1)
Royal Banker (3-1)
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- 49ers' George Kittle voted top NFL tight end over Chiefs' Travis Kelce
- Raiders Talk: Sports Uncovered preview on Barret Robbins
- Marcus Semien embraces leadership role to keep A's safe amid coronavirus
- Sharks' Tomas Hertl explains funny, simple reason why he wears No. 48
- Why A.J. Green trade doesn't make sense for 49ers unlike other big names
- Shaq gives outrageous breakdown of potential Lakers-Warriors matchup
- NBA opt-out tracker: Every player who declined to return for playoffs
- Jake Diekman says MLB coronavirus testing delays 'just can't happen'
- NBA Draft 2020: Watch Warriors' potential target Deni Avdija dominate
- Giants' Heliot Ramos could make MLB debut in 2020, Gabe Kapler says
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|