Jan 20, 2014, 11:24 AM PST
The Batkid story officially has a happy ending. According to the Chronicle, a charitable couple has stepped up to pay the costs incurred by San Francisco while making Miles Scott’s dream come true.
Some people were outraged when they found out the city spent over $100,000 to create super hero-themed day for Batkid. They now officially have no reason to complain. Bay Area philanthropists John and Marcia Goldman gave Make-A-Wish a check for $105,000 to cover all of the costs.
Even without the sizable donation, the event was worth every penny. Over 10,000 people volunteered and the streets of San Francisco were lined with people as Batkid rescued a damsel in distress, thwarted a bank robbery attempt by the Riddler, and rescued San Francisco Giants mascot Lou Seal from the Penguin.
Scott, a five-year-old leukemia survivor, warmed the heart of the nation and even got a congratulatory message from President Obama after saving Gotham City. He was granted a key to the city and honored by San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee on the steps of City Hall.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- TBT: Willie Mays announces his retirement
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- UPDATE: Brent Burns' golf course skull discovery identified
- Lakers' LeBron James won't play Thursday vs. Warriors at Chase Center
- Jeff Samardzija laughs at Yankees trade rumors after Luis Severino injury
- Warriors' Steve Kerr casts doubt on Steph Curry's March 1 return date
- NFL rumors: 49ers' DeForest Buckner rejected contract extension last offseason
- Raiders Talk Podcast: Offseason Outlook (Tom Brady?!)
- NFL rumors: Raiders could be free-agent option for QB Philip Rivers
- Why A's closer Liam Hendriks refuses to let himself feel comfortable
- Why A's Frankie Montas feels no pressure after 80-game PED suspension
- NFL Draft 2020: Isaiah Simmons is answer to Raiders' linebacker problem
- NBA rumors: Ex-Warrior Andre Iguodala didn't plan on joining Heat
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|