Jan 20, 2014, 10:46 AM PST
Welcome to A case of the Mondays. There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1 – 12th Man Fail: Moments after suffering a gruesome ACL injury, NaVorro Bowman was pelted with popcorn by a Seahawks fan as he was being carted off the field. Unfortunately, the disgusting act by one idiotic fan becomes a blemish on an entire fan base. The video was captured by Fox’s camera and turned into a GIF by Guyism.
Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman (more on him in a moment) had a lot to say about the 49ers after the game, but he came to the defense of Bowman via MMQB.
One thing I can’t accept is what I read after the game about Seahawks fans throwing food at 49ers linebacker NaVorro Bowman as he was being carted off the field with his knee injury. If it’s true, it’s beyond terrible. That’s as low as it gets.
No. 2 – Sherman cut an epic heel promo: Actions usually speak louder than words. Not this time. After making a game-saving play to beat the 49ers, Sherman started his media blitz. He made a chocking gesture at Colin Kaepernick, and then called Michael Crabtree a “sorry” and “mediocre” receiver and declared himself the best corner in the game.
It’s refreshing to see a professional athlete say what’s really on his mind, but in this case, he come off as a sore winner. He had already proven he is the best with his play, he didn’t need to say so. Sherman, an All-Pro cornerback that is a graduate of Stanford, eventually calmed down and told his side of the story in an interesting article on MMQB, but his pompous postgame interview will forever live in infamy.
No. 3 – Lou Seal forced to taste the rainbow: The San Francisco Giants also ended up on the losing end of the NFC Championship Game. They chose to engage the Seattle Mariners in some goodnatured smack talk in advance of the game, and even settled on a wager.
If the 49ers had won, Mariner Moose would have been forced to post a “Kaepernicking” picture online. Instead, this happened. [@SFGiants and @Mariners on Twitter]
No. 4 – Terrelle Pryor has a new agent: While watching Kaepernick scramble on the national stage, the Bay Area’s other freakishly athletic and mobile quarterback locked down a new agent. According to ProFootballTalk, Pryor has hired Drew Rosenhaus. Pryor’s previous agent was fired after claiming Raiders coach Dennis Allen was setting his client up to fail.
No. 5 – A tip of the cap to Joe Pavelski: The San Jose Sharks and Tampa Bay Lightning made history on Saturday night. Both Joe Pavelski and Martin St. Louis had natural hat tricks during the Sharks’ 5-4 win. It was just the fourth time in NHL history that opposing players each had natural hat tricks in the same game.
According to Sharks stat guru Darin Stephens, Pavelski’s first career hat trick also had a historical footnote. Pavelski is the first U.S. born Sharks player with a regular season hat trick since Bill Guerin on Mar. 13, 2007.
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
— Call it the Bowman Rule: The NFL is considering reviewing fumble recoveries. Here’s Ray Ratto’s take.
— It was a good weekend for bad sportsmanship. It’s pretty obvious why this short track speed skater was disqualified.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- More pics of Balfour's massive truck, and a look at another monster rig
- Kaepernick vs. Wilson -- loser shaves an eyebrow
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- Raiders cornerback Taiwan Jones wins $200 bet by jumping over a car
- Joe Lacob acknowledges Warriors could trade down in 2020 NBA Draft
- Former Giant Randy Winn recalls what it was like to be red-hot for whole month
- Giants fans vote 'Champ' Tim Lincecum as best version of former ace
- Security guard for Draymond Green, DeMarcus Cousins dies from coronavirus
- NFL Draft 2020: Raiders in solid salary-cap standing heading into event
- A's A.J. Puk shares positive health update after shoulder setback
- Why Steve Kerr trash-talked Alvin Gentry after Warriors won 2015 title
- NFL Draft 2020: Why 49ers could trade up to No. 5 for Jeffrey Okudah
- Chicago Bulls get new life with Arturas Karnisovas hire
- What 49ers' Mike McGlinchey said about Joe Staley's future in NFL
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|