Feb 24, 2014, 9:48 AM PST
Welcome to A case of the Mondays. There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1 – Precious Medals: Patrick Marleau helped Canada take home Olympic gold in Men’s Hockey over the weekend, but he left with a second “medal” that was more precious.
Marleau’s sons made a gold medal for their father before he left for Sochi and he proudly displayed it alongside the real thing in a super cute photo that was shared by his wife, Christina, on Twitter.
It’s a bummer that Team USA failed to medal in hockey, but it sort of softens the blow that San Jose Sharks players like Marleau and Marc-Edouard Vlasic won gold.
No. 2 – Barry being Barry: Upon reporting to spring training, Giants insider Andrew Baggarly pointed out there was no one named Barry in camp for the first time since he’s been on the beat. The Giants plan to remedy the situation by bringing Barry Bonds back as an instructor later this spring. Baggs has full details, but here’s a sample:
This is just a weeklong stint. It’s just a trial balloon. It’s a chance for Bonds and the Giants to cozy up to one another again. They can figure out where to put the statue later.
No. 3 – Did Curry call “bank”: When you’re the best pure shooter in the game, even your most errant shot ends up a game-changing three-pointer.
Late in the Warriors 93-86 win over the Brooklyn Nets on Saturday, Curry launched a deep ball that banked off the glass for three points. The basket gave the Warriors a 91-86 lead with 37 seconds left on the clock.
In a moment even weirder than the shot itself, Curry celebrated the bucket by pulling up his shorts and taking a stroll. The moment will forever loop in time thanks to social media.
No. 4 – A’s skipper joins Twitter: Oakland Athletics manager Bob Melvin is a smart, insightful, and well-spoken individual, but how’s his tweet game? Maybe we’ll soon find out. Our A’s reporter Joe Stiglich reports that Melvin is giving Twitter a second chance, but he’s doing so in a low key manner:
“I’m not tweeting anything, just following … Including you people,” Melvin said in a light-hearted threat to A’s beat writers. “I saw Gibby (Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson) tweeted one tweet. Until he gets out there in double digits, I’ll hold back.”
Certain members of the A’s front office also follow reporters and players under anonymous handles. Hopefully, more of them will go public. People would probably benefit from their insights.
No. 5 – Well done, Russia: The 2014 Winter Olympics came to a close on Sunday. There were lots of minor hiccups that people poked fun at, but everyone that went to Sochi to participate and watch were able to make it home safely with plenty of memories. Russia was also able to show off their sense of humor, by poking fun at the opening ceremony Olympic Ring gaffe.
During the closing ceremony, they originally lined up with a broken ring, and then corrected it; much to the delight of the audience. Well played.
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
— We leave you with the Heisman squirrel. This photo was posted to Reddit over the weekend, and it seems like the perfect way to kick off the week.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Roy Steele narrates phenomenal 'This is Oakland' video
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Kaepernick addresses the media in a different spot each week
- Details behind how 49ers fans pranked Seahawks' 12th Man
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Logan Couture reflects on Sharks tough season and first year as captain
- Ex-Giants manager Dusty Baker reveals his challenge when MLB returns
- Harrison Barnes, Kings want chance to make NBA playoffs upon restart
- NBA rumors: Warriors using 'IQ tests' during Zoom draft interviews
- Joe Staley, 49ers give virtual graduation ceremony to class of 2020
- Lou Trivino gives his insight on minor league baseball situation
- Why 49ers might trade Dee Ford to make room for George Kittle extension
- 49ers' Jimmy Garoppolo facing 'prove-it time,' ESPN analyst believes
- Steve Kerr believes Warriors' 73-win NBA record never will be broken
- Steve Kerr discusses 'Last Dance' crew's impact on Michael Jordan, Bulls
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|