Feb 24, 2014, 3:24 PM PST
Buster Posey is a statuesque former MVP that handles one of the league’s best pitching rotations. Eric Sogard is a slick-fielding platoon infielder that looks like he’d be more comfortable playing Quidditch. Posey poses in GQ Magazine. Sogard wears vision-correcting eye wear.
Which one should be considered the face of Major League Baseball? The fans say Sogard. And it’s not even close, according to the current voting results.
Very few people outside of the Bay Area have heard of Sogard. He’s not the type of player that will even be selected in the deepest of fantasy baseball leagues. Yet, he has demolished the competition in MLB.com’s “Face of MLB” competition, which is a tournament style contest that is determined exclusively by fan voting.
A’s and Giants fans are currently going head-to-head on Twitter in a battle to get their player to the next round. To vote, all you have to do is tweet either #BusterPosey or #EricSogard and include #FaceOfMLB. Voting closes at 5 a.m. Tuesday morning.
Sogard scored upset wins over Anthony Rizzo of the Cubs and Troy Tulowitzki of the Rockies. He is facing Posey in the elite eight round. The improbable run of the bespectacled infielder figured to end when he went up against the Giants’ catcher, but the results have been surprising.
Ironically, a guy that nobody would consider the face of his own team, has a chance to advance to the final four. The contest itself is a bit ridiculous, and in true underdog fashion, A’s fans are thumbing their nose at the establishment and loving every second of it. There’s still a lot of time remaining, though, and Giants fans are a force to be reckoned with. It’s likely the battle between fan bases will go down to the wire.
Here are some of the most creative tweets from the Sogard camp:
(Hey, how’d that get in there?)
Here are some of the most creative tweets from the Posey camp:
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Former Warrior David West explains his biggest fear as a black father
- Steve Kerr's shorts from NBA Finals game-winning shot up for auction
- Race in America: Why David West fears leaving his house without ID
- What Steph Curry's protest appearance meant to Juan Toscano-Anderson
- NBA draft rumors: Top prospect Anthony Edwards, Warriors yet to meet
- NBA rumors: Kevin Durant will not return for remainder of Nets' season
- Race in America: Rep. Eric Swalwell praises Steve Kerr for speaking up
- Race in America: Warriors' Steve Kerr has 'great faith' in young generation
- Why Warriors could benefit from unique 2019-20 NBA season calendar
- Why Steve Kerr believes NBA will allow Warriors to hold 'minicamp'
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|