Feb 27, 2014, 9:19 AM PST
Let’s be real. Voting for Eric Sogard to be the “Face of MLB” isn’t about baseball. It’s not about the fans’ love of Sogard (although he is quite popular). It’s about proving that anything is possible if people come together. It’s about Oakland Athletics fans showing the establishment they can’t be ignored forever. It’s a sharp kick to the hindquarters of the very people that view A’s fans as second-class citizens, even in their own market.
Sogard isn’t the “face” of Major League Baseball. He isn’t even the “face” of the A’s. How ridiculous is that concept anyways? The face? Really? The A’s are successful because they find a way to get contributions from every last player on the roster. There is no face. Last year, Yoenis Cespedes was bounced in the first round of the “Face of MLB” competition.
Sogard is the face of a fan base that has been pushed around, disrespected by the masses, and overlooked by national media. Now they’re getting revenge by throwing this contest the best way they can — with their computers via social media, clever photoshop images, and smart humor. Like real nerds. And there’s nothing more dangerous than an organized group of cunning people with a chip on their collective shoulder.
— Josh Reddick made the best catch you’ll ever see. Then he did it again.
— The 49ers are $15 million under salary cap. What does this mean for Colin Kaepernick?
— A clerk at a Richmond liquor store obliterated a robber. I mean, this is a German Suplex that would make Kurt Angle proud.
Field of Links:
— Speaking of cute puppies… The Brewers adopted a stray dog, and he ran in the Sausage Race on Wednesday.
— We should probably care more about this news: Scientists discovered over 700 new planets.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Matt 'Megatoad' Stonie chugs 2 liters of soda without burping
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: Say Hey! Did you know Willie Mays smashed 17 homers in a single month?
- Field Of Links: No sugarcoating struggles of A's and Giants
- Steve Kerr uses Twitter to laugh at Warriors' season of adversity
- NBA power rankings: Where all 30 teams sit after amazing All-Star Game
- Brooks Koepka eager for run at historic PGA Championship three-peat
- Giants say they won't include Aubrey Huff in 2010 World Series reunion
- Sharks' third-period comeback falls short in loss to struggling Panthers
- Brooks Koepka's quest for PGA history heads to 'big boy' Harding Park
- Manchester United keep controversial clean sheet in win vs. Chelsea
- Shot of the Game: Kevin Labanc benefits from big bounce vs. Panthers
- Brenden Dillon breaks down when asked about potential Sharks trade
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in 5-3 matinee loss to Panthers
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|