Feb 28, 2014, 9:53 AM PST
After going to sleep with a comfortable lead, Oakland Athletics fans woke up on Friday morning to find out that Eric Sogard somehow lost the “Face of MLB” competition. The herculean effort of underdog A’s fans were eventually trumped by the Eastern Time Zone. Voting closed at 5 a.m. PST, allowing New York Mets fans to make a final push as California-based Sogard supporters slept.
Some fans, however, are crying foul. In the final hour of the contest, Wright’s votes spiked incredibly high. A late surge is to be expected, but it’s a bit odd when a large chunk of the votes appear to be coming from South Korea. Hmm. Oh well… The contest is mercifully over, and people’s timelines can now go back to normal. Either way, A’s fans proved their point. Their organization, support of Sogard, and unreal creativity made some serious noise. It was truly entertaining to follow.
Despite the outcome, this was a huge win for supporters of Eric Sogard and supporters of anarchy. The entire contest was hijacked by bespectacled nihilism. Much of baseball turned against Jose Bautista and against David Wright, and rooted for a dumb promotion to suffer the absurdist payoff it deserved. It didn’t quite happen, but now there’s almost no chance MLB runs this contest again next year. And that is a triumph for democracy.
Wright, who doesn’t even have a Twitter account, also seemed happy with the results.
— Logan Couture and Raffi Torres made an immediate impact upon returning to the San Jose Sharks’ lineup. Team Teal dominated the Philadelphia Flyers with a 7-3 win.
— Stephen Curry will be wearing special shoes tonight against the New York Knicks.
Time to kick it with some links from around the nation…
Field of Links:
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- NBA power rankings: Where all 30 teams sit after amazing All-Star Game
- Brooks Koepka eager for run at historic PGA Championship three-peat
- Giants say they won't include Aubrey Huff in 2010 World Series reunion
- Sharks' third-period comeback falls short in loss to struggling Panthers
- Brooks Koepka's quest for PGA history heads to 'big boy' Harding Park
- Manchester United keep controversial clean sheet in win vs. Chelsea
- Shot of the Game: Kevin Labanc benefits from big bounce vs. Panthers
- Brenden Dillon breaks down when asked about potential Sharks trade
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in 5-3 matinee loss to Panthers
- Why Marquise Goodwin, 49ers parting ways this offseason makes sense
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|